Need driving lessons

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
tomwaterloo Monday 28 February 2005 11.15am
Hello there

I'm looking for driving lessons in Waterloo and coming up against a brick wall with yell.co.uk.... BSM can't do any until end of March. Can anyone recommend a good private guy (or gal)?

Thanks,

Tom
Sal Monday 28 February 2005 11.21am
Royal in Walworth do lessons, The AA. Do a search on Google.
Annie2004 Monday 28 February 2005 12.02pm
I'm currently learning with Patrick at Key Driving. As a very nervous and relatively old new driver (does that make sense?), I have found him to be very patient. He's also got 33 years experience, which I find hugely reassuring. Their number is 020 7278 9777.
tomwaterloo Monday 28 February 2005 12.19pm
Thanks Annie, I'll give them a shot
BlueGirlSE1 Monday 28 February 2005 9.48pm
Hi I am a new person to this forum, However I am not new to SE1. I have lived here for 19 years. Anyway regarding the need for driving lessons, I would not suggest Key driving school. I am not going to bad mouth them, but I would recommend when taking lessons talk to someone who has taken driving lessons as well. As you would be none the wiser if you are learning anything at all.

It should not be the case of on the 15th driving lesson and driving the same backstreets that you have been to many times before.

A friend of mine (also a SE1 resident) was also taking lessons with "Patrick" and had MANY problems with him (like myself) EG waiting (during a lesson) outside a shop for 10 mins or on a street (during one of my lessons) for 20 mins with the claim that he had to see a pupil - obviously not used to telephone communication - then on return claimed that he was stuck in a lift.

I am not saying all of this to undermine Annie2004, but driving lessons do not come cheap (nor does living in zone 1) so I would really urge people to be cautious of driving lessons and remember that you are the student.

Yes... Key would take you on lessons, however experience does not always count! (As Only the DAY BEFORE my test with Patrick did he take me on roundabouts and Yes I FAILED!

Be careful not to waste money and time!!!

PS I have now passed and my instructor had only 18months experience but she was GREAT....sorry about long moan!
Annie2004 Tuesday 1 March 2005 10.21am
I don't think you're trying to undermine me at all, it's important to hear all different experiences. Maybe you could post your instructor's details for Tom?
BlueGirlSE1 Tuesday 1 March 2005 1.28pm
The instructor that helped me pass my driving test was a lady called Sandra. She works (not sure if still there) for Roberts driving school. However they are mainly based in bermondsey and I used to travel in.

I did this as compared with other instructors (not just Patrick - and I have many stories of driving lessons) I thought (knew) that the lessons were well worth the bus ride to bermondsey station.

Also a cousin of mine and a friend of mine both passed with Roberts instructors!

I have also had lessons with AA and they are good (however initially I was given a guy who pulled me over so he could talk to his mate for mins during the lesson) and just use common sense and advice from others to decide whether that person is right one to teach you.

One thing about learning to drive, it is expensive so ensure that you get as much as possible out of the lessons as possible and it is essential that you find the right one to teach you!!!
MCAS Wednesday 6 July 2005 8.57pm
Try looking for driving lessons or an instructor on www.INeedDrivingSchools.co.uk
teaandcakes Wednesday 6 July 2005 10.18pm
hi,i'm new to this site,but i've been reading the posts and there's some really interesting topics on here. anyway when I was learning to drive,I was taught by a guy called patrick.he was past retirement age and had a very thick irish accent.prevoius to me booking him my dad had taught me the basics of driving on one of those off road learning tracks but i needed to be taught properly.on my first lesson, and I kid you not,ten minutes in I glanced over and patrick was fast asleep with his head on his chest.I couldn't believe it, so i just drove round on my own for the next twenty minutes trying to remember where i was going.when he came to, he didn't say anything about it but made me stop outside a shop while he bought four cans of guiness and put them in the glove compartment,then drove back home.i was so amazed i carried on booking him .he fell asleep on a further five or six lessons and i started to enjoy making up my own routes while he was snoring. I had to do the guiness stop every single time and nothing was ever said about it.I passed my test first time. how i don't know,but i did!

love to you all
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Friday 17 February 2006 8.07pm
BlueGirlSE1 wrote:
The instructor that helped me pass my driving test was a lady called Sandra. She works (not sure if still there) for Roberts driving school. However they are mainly based in bermondsey and I used to travel in.
I did this as compared with other instructors (not just Patrick - and I have many stories of driving lessons) I thought (knew) that the lessons were well worth the bus ride to bermondsey station.

Also a cousin of mine and a friend of mine both passed with Roberts instructors!

I have also had lessons with AA and they are good (however initially I was given a guy who pulled me over so he could talk to his mate for mins during the lesson) and just use common sense and advice from others to decide whether that person is right one to teach you.

One thing about learning to drive, it is expensive so ensure that you get as much as possible out of the lessons as possible and it is essential that you find the right one to teach you!!!

My sister (Annie2004) changed from Patrick to Sandra a few weeks after this post was made and thought she was fantastic - and the proof was in the pudding as she passed her test following her lessons with Sandra.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions