Orchids in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 1 March 2005 8.53am
Good morning all. Does anyone know where I might find potted orchids relatively close to SE1? I know that Kew Gardens does them, but I'm wary of trying to get an orchid home on the tube without it being smashed about.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 9.06am
B&Q usually have them in Old Kent Rd but phone first. Or try New Covent garden flower market at Vauxhall. Good luck
Tuesday 1 March 2005 9.29am
Borough Market - the florist in Stoney Street usually has a good selection of orchids.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 9.29am
The easiest place surely, is the flower shop in Stoney St, just on the way in to Borough Market. They have a small selection, mostly Phalaenopsis (if that means anything to you!) and they are very good value. I bought a small white one from them, for two or three quid, reduced for being 'past its best', nurtured it back to being at its best, and it has rewarded me with constant streams of flowers for the past few months. They have some bigger and more spectacular ones too, but not a huge variety.

The display at Kew is spectacular (Note I did not say 'tasteful'!) and they have a lot of orchids on sale, but they are horrendously overpriced in my opinion. They wrap them well if you buy one, and if you go at the weekend or out of peak hours, its not crowded on the tube. I go to Kew regularly (anyone who has seen my flat might ask why bother), usually via train from Waterloo to Richmond.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 9.59am
Thanks very much ladies and gents, I think I will try my luck at Stoney Street. Always worth the excuse to go to Borough Market for some fresh fruits and veggies too!
Tuesday 1 March 2005 12.35pm
There's also the new posh florist called Igloo, on Bermondsey St, very nice flowers and plants in good condition there as well, if that's closer?

i do not have any connections or receive a comission etc etc etc
Tuesday 1 March 2005 1.18pm
Whatsisface in the E&C Shopping Centre opposite Tesco always has orchids, and I buy from him all the time. The girl in Borough Market is also good. So it depends which end of where you are and what is closer.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 3.31pm
Well for the best price and a nice morning out there is always Columbia Road flower market not too far from Liverpool street (see
http://www.columbia-flower-market.freewebspace.com/index.html) with a plus that you can buy back your bike that got nicked from Brick Lane market on the way home...
Tuesday 1 March 2005 3.44pm
mattc made me laugh... and btw I saw loads of orchids in Columbia rd on Sunday. 2 for a tenner.

With tthe money you save, try the Foodhall beside Shoreditch Town Hall. Brunch from 12 noon on Sun.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 4.49pm
Just thought, the flower shop at the bottom of the OXO tower does them too, all beautifully presented in lovely pots.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: