Talking about refuse and mess - Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 13 August 2002 7.28pm
Has anyone else noted the amount of muck that piles outside the Ticino bakery on Bermondsey st. This attracts hoades of pigeons, and if we are unlucky will attract rats as well. The problems stem from throwing away large amounts of stale bread into insecure wheelie bins, which are then not securely closed. Also flour debris around the door ways. I actually like fresh bread, but seeing that they leave out their delivery racks - green plastic trays into which they put the baked bread - and the birds sit on them - would make me shy away from purchasing any Ticino bread.

I also noticed plastic bag refuse thrown out by cafes on Bermondsey St, and that these bags had been ripped open by vermin/cats or foxes.
Wednesday 14 August 2002 7.04am
phone environmental health...several years ago I purchased a cake from a bakers near the aylesbury estate which had the added feature of extra unwanted protein......a beetle!.. when the e..h.o. went to check they also had a beautiful cat which snuggled up cosily behind the shelves, on the vienna loaves!
one good thing about having a working bakery on your street though is that is probably the one place you can get fresh yeast .
Wednesday 14 August 2002 9.43am
sorry to change the subject, but where can you buy ticino bread? Do they have a retail site on bermondsey street as well as the bakery itself?
Wednesday 14 August 2002 2.15pm
They do not seem to have a direct retail outlet on Bermondsey St - as far as I can see.
Thursday 22 August 2002 4.52pm
Talking of vermin have you noticed the amount of estate agents in bermondsey street...I'd rather have a messy bakery and some greasy caffs any day. Hey but you guys didn't move to Se1 for the community spirit..You came to make money...don't worry the bakery won't be there forever..It'll be some great loft complex..I sometime get the feeling there are hidden agendas to these posts.
Sunday 25 August 2002 5.51pm
Does anyone move to anywhere in London for the "community spirit"? I used to live in a very rural part of England that had genuine community spirit. It was also an excuse for everyone in the area to be completely nosy, and bitchy about their next door neighbours. In fact, that's why I moved to SE1, to get away from the godawful "community spirit". OK there may be people who have moved in on the back of property speculation, but the good thing about them is that they keep themselves to themselves and don't bother me. And they are far too posh to turn up their stereos too loud, unlike some of the more uncouth locals who have been here for a lot longer.

-MM- The Nature of Monkey was Irrepressible.
Thursday 29 August 2002 4.38pm
I'd like to expand your remarks about "Refuse and Mess" beyond Bermondsey St. to all of London. I am appalled at how filthy London is and that the government allows it with no consequences for those who do the littering. I live just off the New Kent Road and often feel like I'm walking through a dump to get to where I'm going. We have many visitors from other countries and I always have to apologize for all the litter we pass on the way to the bus or Tube. It is quite embarrassing. I come from the U.S. and have visited several other European countries where they take great pride in the condition of their cities and countryside. London is a gorgeous city but it is difficult to appreciate when all you can see is the rubbish on the pavements. Where are the people to enforce the litter laws? I feel that I am living in a Third World Country and nobody cares to make any changes.
Thursday 29 August 2002 9.19pm
i think it may a sign of my getting really old, but I've recently started taking a bag with me and if there's rubbish around in any of my favourite places - Mint street park, Little Dorrit Park, St George's gardens etc, THEN I PICK IT UP.
So far I've not had any odd looks, but even if I did I, so what? Just think what could happen if we spread the notion of collective responsibility.

Yes, I know we pay for refuse collection services, but as long as there are people who couldn't give a toss about throwing litter about, and parents who allow their kids to grow up thinking that's OK, then we'll continue to have a litter problem. It's really up to us - we have so many rights, it's time to fulfil our responsibilities.

In Sydney they have either a monthly, or annual, day when everyone goes out with a black sack and picks up rubbish. Rather than think: yuk I'm not doing that, think: OK it sounds a bit mad but the worst that can happen is that I meet other people doing the same thing. You might even get to meet some of your neighbours - yeah, unlikely I know!

Anyone interested in started a NO RUBBISH day, please email me directly. We may even be able to get funding for it!
Anyone who thinks I'm just a mad rubbish-bag lady - please be kind to me, I'm OK really!
Friday 30 August 2002 7.11am
There was a chap recently in some small English town, who was wearing a black outfit with a black hood who went round cleaning his town centre at 4 o'clock in the morning and left the filled black bin-liners with a small note, asking for his town people to help keep the city clean. He was caught on cctv doing this several times.

Like the idea, maybe we can pay him to come down and live here !

Saturday 31 August 2002 6.09pm
why pay him to come here? he's got enough to do already! the idea was that WE clear up OUR rubbish. maybe i am just mad...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: