honest Cabbage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 August 2002 7.59pm
Anyone been to the cabbage lately?

I haven't been for over 6 months, I used to go quite often but the last 2 times I went were very dissapointing and a few people posted on here a while ago complaining about a few things. Just wondering if standards are good at the moment
Wednesday 14 August 2002 6.02am
what is the cabbage?
Tam
Wednesday 14 August 2002 8.42am
Yes I went on Friday night. I too used to be a regular and although the food did start to go down hill a bit, it has definately improved, although the chef forgot to put the walnuts in my waldorf salad! The service is great and I love the atmosphere. I really enjoy eating there, my only gripe is that it could be slightly better value, but then maybe I've been spoiled by those steaks at Bankside!
Cabbage Patch Kid
Thursday 15 August 2002 11.47am
went there last night and am pleased to say that it definitely seems to be on the up again. I agree that it started going downhill a while ago and although I didn't stop going there completely, definitely went a lot less regularly.

Interestingly, one of the reasons we always put the decline down to was the seeming disappearance of the 2 guys that started it. You used to see them in there almost everytime, they were really friendly and obviously cared about the food and the place a lot. After a couple of years they seemed to dissappear and we assumed they'd sold the place or were just sitting back watching the money roll in whilst others did the work, but one of the guys was back there last night running the place, so maybe that's why it seems to be getting back on track.

Something else I noticed - in the (men's) toilet there was a picture of a couple of kids sat in a big cabbage with a couple of speech bubbles saying something like "let's open a restaurant", "ok, but what shall we call it?" that someone had made and given the 2 guys who opened it as a present. That piccie's not in the bogs anymore, so maybe it's just been moved or maybe they've had a falling out or something??
Thursday 22 August 2002 3.37pm
hasn't been the same since they got rid of the lovely Donna great manageress
Monday 2 September 2002 4.06pm
I went past yesterday and it seems they are doing a refurb - so its closed at the moment. More disappointing, the Leather Exchange seems to have stopped doing Sunday lunches too.

I quite like the Spanish tapas place on Gambia Street, but the two times I've been there, my tummy's been jippy shortly afterwards... so a bit cautious about promoting it.
Monday 9 September 2002 9.37pm
Biscuit Boy - I am sorry that you too had a bad experience at the Honest Cabbage. I went with the SO about 6 months ago, having been recommended by a trusted friend. The pork belly was an unrefined lump of fatty meat with leathery rind. The game was way, way too pink, the vegetables were soggy and the ginger bloke who served us was truculent. I can put up with the last, but not the rest of these problems. After some negotiation, we settled on paying half the bill.

It was agreed with Ginger that we wouldn't return, which was just as well as we wouldn't be welcomed back. The place was heaving, so I concluded that either the dining population of Bermondsey was in to crappy food, or that maybe our taste buds were just too refined.

I will be delighted to try it again if the problem has been fixed. I do want my vegetables al dente, my pork belly with crunchy crackling, and my Campylobacter-free pheasant cooked to 160F. As I said, I can put up with stroppy service, I have spent way too much time in France to worry about that.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network