Southwark's traffic wardens caught on film

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Friday 4 March 2005 9.56am
Did anyone else see Horizon last night? It was about parking controls and the congestion charge, and featured undercover filming of Southwark's traffic wardens, and the various, nefarious measures some of them take to issue parking tickets. Very interesting.
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Friday 4 March 2005 10.13am
Ooops - it was Dispatches, not Horizon.
mogoot Friday 4 March 2005 10.18am
Yes, I saw it. Interesting indeed.
tomwaterloo Friday 4 March 2005 12.13pm
What sort of nefarious measures are we talking about?
Zappomatic Friday 4 March 2005 3.16pm
For example, when a car is illegally parked, wardens are supposed to wait by the car for 5 minutes before they can issue a ticket, and their hand held computers are programmed to automatically time this from when they press a button on the machine. However, some wardens were pressing this button before they reached the car, and walking up to it slowly so the actual time spent by the car was more like two minutes.

Another tactic, which they are trained not to do, is hang around pay and display car parks waiting for tickets to expire. They were also filmed threatening to ticket a woman whose car had broken down; she had enough money to pay for a couple of hours parking in the spot she'd stopped in, but it wouldn't cover her until the time when she would be able to return to the car (due to having to pick children up from school etc). The wardens would not offer her any dispensation and said she would be ticketed when her paid time expires.

There was also an example of the opposite going on, where wardens were instructed not to ticket cars parked outside a mosque, despite the fact the road was severely blocked by them, for political reasons. I think that angered me as much as some of the sneaky ways of bumping up the number of tickets given out!
tomwaterloo Friday 4 March 2005 4.05pm
The hanging around pay and display car parks is a bit off, but I don't have that much sympathy for people who are illegally parked getting tickets.
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Friday 4 March 2005 4.29pm
What shocked me was that the traffic wardens' remit is to keep the traffic moving, but instead of moving people on when they stopped illegally, the traffic wardens were shown allowing the cars to stay where they were for five minutes just so they could issue a ticket (this was when the drivers were still in the cars). IMHO it would be much better if the traffic wardens did as they were supposed to and asked drivers to move their cars, rather than let them stay where they were for the five minutes it takes to qualify for a ticket. Of course, Tom, you're right that if people didn't park illegally they wouldn't get tickets in the first place. But when I'm on the bus stuck in traffic because someone has stopped in a bus lane I'd far rather they were asked to drive on, rather then be allowed to stay there for 5 minutes blocking my bus just so some warden can issue a parking ticket.

I thought the worst thing was where the wardens prepared a ticket, but then deliberately waited for drivers to drive off before issuing it. This meant the first time the drivers found out about the ticket was four weeks later when they got a letter through the post saying they hadn't paid the fine. Obviously, as they didn't know they had a ticket, they weren't able to pay it within the two weeks required to get a discount on the fine. I think this is completely wrong, especially given that the fines are 50 if you pay within two weeks and 100 after that. (IIRC).

Claire T Friday 4 March 2005 6.38pm
One issue that didn't come up that happened to us recently - although having seen all the other carry on, I'm now not surprised - was that they apparently sometimes issues tickets even when cars are NOT parked there. We got a ticket stating the car had been parked in a particular spot at a particular time, and we KNEW we had never parked there. Challenged, they withdrew the ticket, but as it pointed out on the show, if we'd just rolled over we would have had to shell out 100 - I wonder how many unfortunate people this has happened to?
Riverite Wednesday 9 March 2005 2.38pm
The piece about uncontrolled parking near or outside the mosque (building not identified) was outrageous. It was stated there were dozens of cars illegally parked with some even blocking the roads.The impression was given that this illegal parking by worshippers is a regular event. Would the same latitude, ie offences competely ignored, be given to other religions? Or any other persons? I suspect not. This sends out a bad message and could incite trouble. The practice of not issuing tickets in these circumstances is dishonest and should be stopped.
Ivanhoe Wednesday 9 March 2005 3.34pm
Riverite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The impression was given that this illegal
> parking by worshippers is a regular event.

I expect it is. I pass three mosques each day and the road outside is always blocked on Friday evenings.

>Would the same latitude, ie offences competely ignored,
> be given to other religions? Or any other persons?
> I suspect not.

But I suspect that you are wrong here. Owing to my love of a lie in these days, I seldom pass a Christian church on a Sunday morning (when, I'm lead to believe, services generally occur), but in one of my old houses (when I had earlier rising times at weekends) the congregation from the neighbouring church always blocked the narrow road for the hour or so of the service, as well as before and afterwards.

I can also report that practitioners of the modern religion known as "trailing your poor kids around the crowded market under the guise of shopping" results in some appalling examples of cars blocking roads, blocking in other cars, and generally terrorising pedestrians. Try standing outside the Sthk Tavern on a Saturday.

>This sends out a bad message and could incite trouble.

Yes, possibly, but IMHO, not half as much as it does to make a post of this nature which could come across as anti-Muslim.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions