Georgetown restaurant?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 March 2005 6.54pm
Has anyone been here recently ? I've found a single comment on the old threads, but that was way back in '02.

Am going out for Saturday lunch (next week) with maman and have been ordered to find somewhere "spicy - vegetarian - Indian-ish". Is a belated Mothering Sunday lunch, so would like it to be somewhere nice. Georgetown looks like it might fit the bill nicely, but I've never been (or seen anyone in there when I've walked past, which doesn't fill me with confidence).

Champor-Champor isn't open for lunch on Saturdays and neither is the Bengal Clipper. Any other thoughts gratefully received. SE1 / SE1 borders.
Friday 4 March 2005 7.27pm
Is this in the space under the hotel that was briefly a Simply Nico in the early 1990s?

Assuming it is the hotel restaurant, IIRC some business visitors that we put up in the hotel were underwhelmed after dining there about eighteen months ago, although they reckoned the Singapore Slings were potent enough.
Friday 4 March 2005 8.33pm
Is this the Malaysian restaurant by London Bridge?

If so try and get a table away from the piano (it actually curtailed our conversation a little it was that loud though we were right beside it).

I liked the food though and tend to be quite picky. I would recommend taking as many Malay (rather than Chinese or Indian) options as possible as they seemed to generally be the nicest choice each time. (There are basically 3 menus - Chinese, Indian or Malay - you can mix and match.)

There seemed to be good vegetarian options but I don't remember the food being particularly spicy .
Friday 4 March 2005 10.17pm
Lang Rabbie Wrote:
> Is this in the space under the hotel that was
> briefly a Simply Nico in the early 1990s?

Yes, that's the one - though Simply Nico was mid/late 1990s.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 6 March 2005 5.59pm
HI there,

I work in a restaurant in the city and we had our annual christmas outing there in January.
We had a great time, food was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful.

Quite good value and I would highly recommend it.
The atmosphere is nice and the decor nice, perfect for mums I would say.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 6 March 2005 6.00pm by kiki.hector.
Sunday 6 March 2005 6.46pm
Thanks all. Will give it a try and report back...
Tuesday 8 March 2005 9.36am
Georgetown is a great restaurant...and almost unique in London I'd say. As described above, the menu is split into three different types of Malay food based upon the racial make up of the country. So you can have a Chinese-Malay starter, followed by a Indian-Malay main and finish with Malay-Malay dessert - if that makes sense?!!!

I went there with my parents for my Mother's Birthday as we all have a love of Kuala Lumpur and found the food to be particularly authentic and well presented. I booked the table via and got a fantastic deal whereby you can have 4 course for 22 per head including a Singapore Sling.

I agree with the comments about the piano music though. They are trying to create a colonial atmosphere there....and so some extent, they just about pull it off!
Tuesday 15 March 2005 6.33pm
I said I would report back on Saturday lunch at Georgetown:

We were the only people in the restaurant when we arrived - which was initially a bit off-putting. When we left, there were two other small groups. It's a pity the restaurant isn't more popular at the weekend, because it was otherwise a very pleasant experience.

My mother absolutely loved the Singapore Sling that the waiter recommended (although it looked like cough mixture). My brother (who went treking round Borneo and Tasmania via KL recently) said it was the best Mee Goreng he'd had anywhere. They both gave it big thumbs up. My starter (Murtabak - like a beef samosa) was really good and looked / tasted very "fresh" (as opposed to pre-prepared). Personally I prefer my food a bit more piquant, but that's just me.

The staff were lovely - and not hanging over us in the way they can sometimes in an otherwise empty restaurant. The piano music was piped, not live, and mercifully quiet.

{Also, we booked through who are doing a different special lunch offer on Georgetown at the moment than the one described above, but also made the meal good value - thanks chrismingay for the tip}.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 March 2005 6.35pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 7.08pm
If anyone else decides to give Georgetown a try, feel free to book via the toptable link in our Restaurants section (hint, hint)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: