Looking for a reliable roofing company

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 6 March 2005 10.22am
We need to have some replacement work done to our lead roof (within the TNRA area). I'm assuming that we will need to replace like with like under the terms of the listing (unless anyone knows differently).

Has anyone had similar work done and can they recommend a contractor for this kind of work?
Sunday 6 March 2005 6.25pm
Ouch.

Can't recommend someone per se, but our 15 year old and nice looking roof started leaking as soon as we bought our house. Snow meling on it two years ago was a disaster. It was clear that some of the lead had cracked, and we patched this but water was coming in in a number of places.

My builder was prepared to do the work, but he was not sure what the problem was. Our initial survey had also said the roof looked good.

Rather than get another quote/opinion, we got the surveyor back in and for 60 he provided us with a report that listed ten possible problems with the roof, including typical roofer's short cuts. Ultimately rather than faff around we decided to replace the roof completely, which was the right decision as we found out that the previous roofers had skimped on the lead and rather than the 10 or so inches they should have had under the tiles on either side of the valley gutter, there was barely 2cm. Plus some of the lead had been reused and had cracked allowing water onto the wooden joists which had then expanded.

The surveyor's report also gave us some further ideas, like putting coping stones on the party walls to help protect the tops of the walls from the elements. And covering the exposed brick with sealent.

If you are intending to do like for like it is probably worth informing the conservation officer, perhaps by email so you have a record. If you want to do something different, eg the coping stones, it is pretty simple to just ask. In our case he saw the logic and so, as long as we used the same design as the ones on the front, did not require us to obtain planning permission.

Obviously anything which involves party walls needs neighbour agreement. We wrote to them and, nice neighbours that they are, both contributed towards the cost.

All a bit long. What I was trying to say was that 60 for a surveyors report allowed us to be as knowledgeable as the roofer/builder and so less vulnerable to being ripped off. Plus there are an awful lot of tricks roofers can play that are then hidden by tiles (and by the vendor decorating the affected rooms before selling the house.) So better to be forewarned.

Monday 7 March 2005 9.15am
Your best bet is probably to use the roofers that are contacted by Cluttons to do all roof repairs on the estate. I've used them privately and they are very good but I can't remember their name - something like KP roofing but ask Bill in the Cluttons office in Trinity Street and he'll tell you - BTW are you sure it's lead and not zinc?
Monday 7 March 2005 10.39am
My daughter had the unpleasant experience of being ripped off by ' roofers '....she had work carried out by a company that looked soooooo professional...ads in yellow pages...thomsons etc., a member of the Guild of Master Craftsmen....not worth the paper its written on.....they pay a subscription for a year, get the ads in then not subscribe any more...i dont think it would make any difference if the cowboy company was still in....

But.....please approach the National Federation of Roofing Contractors ( N.F.R.C ) who have very stringent rules for joining....My daughter contacted them - they pointed her in the direction of a real proper artisan.....when he came to inspect her roof he was appalled at what he saw, not just the flapping in the roof of the lining....he advised her to sue the company! ( as this man had worked on various stately homes, and had great pride and knowledge of his trade we took notice! , he knows what he is talking about )

My daughter told her insurance company who are now paying for an assessor to itemise the many faults that my daughter did not realise existed, the roof would create more problems than she realised in the future, lets be honest how many of us can get up and inspect the roof?

The roof was installed a year ago, my daughter has been trying to get them to visit and put it right, to no avail...so check with the N.F.R.C...

The company who worked on my daughters house, has not presented any accounts to company house, and have reformed another one in a similar name.....where's BBC watchdog!
Monday 7 March 2005 12.48pm
it's so easy to get conned on roof jobs, as it's very difficult to actually get up there and inspect any work.

and the original question - I would seek advice on if you need 'listed building consent' as well before doing any work at all.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network