Homeopath for children?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 6 March 2005 4.38pm
tried the old threads, but couldn't find anything related...

has anybody tried (and tested) a homeopath for children and could recommend someone?

thanks
schnake

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 6 March 2005 4.39pm by schnake.
Tuesday 8 March 2005 9.40am
Several have tried, but how many have tested?
Tuesday 8 March 2005 12.27pm
Given that there is no reputable evidence linking homeopathy with results beyond what you would expect from any placebo, and that homeopathic remedies are chemically blank, it's pretty unlikely you'll find one which is tested.
Tuesday 8 March 2005 1.38pm
tomwaterloo - I assume that comment is designed just to get a rise out of someone
Wednesday 9 March 2005 9.24am
A pay rise, perhaps...

One thing Schnake didn't mention was what he/she wanted the homeopath to cure. Maybe it's because homeopathy claims to be "holistic" and can cure absolutely anything, it needn't matter what the ailment is. If you believe homeopathic teething granules are effective for your baby, then you're more likely to believe homeopathy can cure cancer, it seems.

What I find extraordinary, considering the zeal with which homeopaths (and the people who buy their products) have, is that NO ONE who produces homeopathic products has ever subjected them to controlled double-blind trials to prove their efficacy.

My own investigations into the subject of asthma and respiratory infections led me to the Cochrane Review (either google for "cochrane review" and homeopathy, or visit the ever-informative British Medical Journal: bmj.com). Its conclusions were quite unambiguous: "Again, a homeopathy review that demonstrates no evidence of any efficacy, but some possibility of minor harm."

A case of snake-oil for Schnake.
Wednesday 9 March 2005 1.01pm
Given the enormous profits involved in the homeopathic and associated 'alternative' medicine industries, it is rather curious that none of these profits get channelled back into research in order to demonstrate that they actually work. Of course, if a pharmaceutical company made extravagant and completely unsubstantiated claims for untested products, the trades descriptions act would rightfully be invoked.

But who am I to tell people what to spend their money on?
Wednesday 9 March 2005 1.13pm
Why are you all so damning? Has homeopathy hurt you in some way?

I have no interest in it myself, and would see it as akin to "faith healing" (or religion in general, as a matter of fact). However, I think it's a bit rude (to say the least) to have a go at someone's faith just because you don't share it.

If someone put a post up here asking for info on, say, opening times at Sthk Cathedral, what would you think if the only replies they got were along the lines of: "What do you want to go there for? It's just a con for weak-minded people. There's no evidence that Jesus ever existed, and isn't it odd that all the money the Church fleeces from their gullible congregations hasn't been channelled into proving that Heaven and Hell exist"?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 March 2005 4.25pm
well well didn't i start a nice discussion here.
one harmless question in how to look into excema of a toddler comes up with heaven and hell. nice one.
and btw i am not one of those eco warrior types who don't believe in traditional 'western' medicine.
accupuncture has helped me get my severe arthritis under control. (where nicely overpriced 'normal' pharma failed and chemotherapy would have been the next step)

that doesn't mean that i wouldn't take antibiotics where neccessary.
or consider chemotherapy for a cancer.
but that's the end of the story and i will think twice before putting a harmless honest question on here next time.
schnake (btw doesn't mean snake )
Wednesday 9 March 2005 5.18pm
Sorry Schnake, it was the "tried and TESTED" bit that switched the argumentative mode on in me. One has to admit that homeopathy relies on anecdotal evidence rather than proven studies of its efficacy. If it works for you, then good for you.
Thursday 10 March 2005 8.48am
I assume that that amazing shop at the top of the Walworth Road (on the left hand side as you go south and whose name begins with B - help me someone) will know of someone. They stock the product and are known London wide.

I have sympathy with Schnake. When a toddler is ill and conventional medicine is not working or is nasty, you do want to try everything. Excema is pretty miserable in a small child, particularly in summer.

When mine were small, a friend's child had excema really badl;y and was seeing consultants and everything with little effect. She also went through the gamut of alternatives and finally tried excluding known allergens from her child's diet (cows milk, wheat and so on.) It worked, and for a couple of years she kept wheat out of the child's diet. Now the child is perfectly fine without excema and able to eat anything. This fits in a view that small children can only take so much of certain foods. Too much and they become sensitive to everything. (I recommend a book on childcare by Dr T Berry Brazelton - the American equivalent of Penelope Leach, not least because he has very practical advice on potty training.)

My second child was very ill and just cried and refused to feed. (She drapped from the 90% on the weight chart to below the red area.) There were several months when there was no diagnosis and we were really worried. Several people suggested things like cranial osteopathy, but frankly we did not have the energy or desire to pursue any of these. We knew there was something really wrong and we needed doctors to tell us what. At that time well meant suggestions were unhelpful and at times down-right irritating as it sort of implied that we were not doing all we could to help our baby. Which does not mean I am anti trying different things, but there is a time and a place.

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: