Coronet Cinema

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 7 March 2005 4.40pm
I was glad to see that movies are being shown at the Coronet Cinema again (as mentioned in the latest 'in SE1').

Did anyone else catch the double bill of 'The Motorcycle Diaries' and 'Bad Education' yesterday? It started at 5pm rather than 4pm in the end (only 2 for both though!).

It was really interesting to see what the interior of the Coronet looked like now as well.

I think the group that put on the films yesterday will be showing movies every second Sunday afternoon so should be on next on March 20th. I spoke a bit to the guy running it and he said he will have some (interesting-sounding) animated movies along with 'The Aviator' for the next time.

Definitely an addition to the area to have a cinema again.
Monday 7 March 2005 4.45pm
Yep - more details at http://www.cinemafurore.com

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 March 2005 5.19pm
That's nice. Was this a one off?
Monday 7 March 2005 6.11pm
It's a different double bill every other Sunday.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 March 2005 7.00pm
The Professor and I went, we know Finn Macalindon, the mover and shaker of Cinema Furore really well, and if my computer hadnt refused to connect me to our web site today, I would have put up a string on this myself. DO GO!! It's terrific. Two Films for TWO QUID...that's one pound a movie. It is not the most attractive place, and I told Finn that he should have bigger signs and so on, but it's a great deal and at a good time (Five oclock in the afternoon) and there's free tea and coffee besides!
Monday 7 March 2005 8.02pm
Yes - I couldn't believe there was free tea / coffee on top of the entry being only 2! I felt like I was taking advantage of them!

I think the venue is fascinating though - but perhaps the renovation wasn't the most sympathetic. And it was a bit cold yesterday but I imagine that will be rectified for next time. So if you haven't seen 'The Aviator' yet (and I have been ill lately so I haven't) then I would very much recommend popping along. Even if you have seen it the animated movies sound really interesting too.
Tuesday 8 March 2005 8.23am
Good place for an SE1 get together....see you all in two weeks at the movies.
JSG
Tuesday 8 March 2005 3.56pm
Is this part of the same venue that hosted elephant man - the homphobic Jamaican dance hall singer?

If so, I will not be taking advantage of the cheap cinema offer for obvious reasons (the principle one being the murder of David Morley, but subsidiary one's including being attacked in Soho by a gang of kids singing bornfire for the batty). I would also advise any gay or gay friendly straights to also boycott.

Wednesday 9 March 2005 8.54am
It's a fantastoc interior (huge screen) and brilliant to have a local movie house back. One word of warning, its a huge space to heat, so it its a bit nippy outside put on the layers! Welcome back!
Wednesday 9 March 2005 10.06am
This is the venue that hosted the Buju Banton (rather than Elephant Man) gig - I should know as I was on the protest outside the venue at the time. However the cinema group is a community group which is separate from the management of the venue who booked that particular gig.

Therefore I would advise any people concerned about homophobia (or any other prejudice / bigotry) not to boycott the movie screenings on those grounds.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: