Why do "they" keep turning off the water?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 10 March 2005 10.58am
I've noticed that with alarming regularity (many times a month) the water on Bermondsey Street is turned off for a period of time in the middle of the night (seemingly between about 12:30 and 2am or later). Anyone know why we can't have 24 hour water access like the other first world countries? Or is it the same old UK answer of trying to catch up with years of underinvestment?
Thursday 10 March 2005 12.10pm
Who are "they"? Are "they" different from the Water Board?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 10 March 2005 6.04pm
Well I guess the THEY is Thames Water but I'm not terribly up on my water supply infrastructure detalls.
Friday 11 March 2005 9.55pm
You could always ring "them" up and ask "them".
Saturday 12 March 2005 12.35am
Not a bad idea, so I tried to look "them" up in the phone book but "they" weren't listed.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12 March 2005 12.36am by Eric.
Saturday 12 March 2005 10.56am
A cut and paste from the Thames Water website which might help:

Contact us
If you have an enquiry, we can help you. Whether it's about your bill, water supply or wastewater services, there are a number of ways you can get in touch with us:

By telephone
Our Customer Centre is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Just call us on one of the following numbers:

For bill or account enquiries - call 0845 9200 888
To use our Minicom or Typetalk - call 0845 9200 899

For water supply or wastewater services - call 0845 9200 800
To use our Minicom service - call 0845 9200 898

If you see a leak from a pipe in the road or footpath, please call our LEAKLINE on 0800 714 614.

Saturday 12 March 2005 5.58pm
Hello oh fount of all knowledge. We missed you on Thursday.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 6.05pm
Was reading a letter from Thames water yesterday... pretty sure it said that if the water is off for more than an hour you can claim back 25 from them... only once a month though... might be worth looking in to?
Tuesday 15 March 2005 9.38pm
You could stay up all night and turn on the tap every hour, just to be sure you don't miss your payment (sorry, feeling facetious this evening, do forgive me). I was intrigued Eric, by your original posting. How did you notice the problem?
Tuesday 15 March 2005 10.22pm
I frequently work nights until 2 or 3 in the morning. It's pretty easy to work out that tthe water's off when you go to take a shower and there's no water or you go to turn on the dishwasher and there's no water, etc. I've learned that I don't need to call Thames Water to report the problem, its always "fixed" by morning. Someone else mentioned to me that Thames Water was turning the water off for maintanence purposes but that was a while ago and I didn't know if the 2 were related. Finding someone at Thames Water who wasn't just at a call centre to tell me the truth seemed like a guarenteed way of sitting on hold and playing telephone tag for hours with Thames Water personell. I was hoping that someone here at SE1, which is usually so reliable on local happenings, would have some insight.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: