Quiet venue for food and cards Sun evening

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 10 March 2005 11.04am
Grandpa Ivanhoe (the one you've never met, Julie) is looking for somewhere to meet three of his elderly friends on Sunday (post tea-dance) for a spot of early evening bridge.

Ideally, it would be somewhere:

- close to London Bridge/Borough tubes, so his friends can wheel their frames onto public transport.
- quiet enough to hear yourself talk
- that serves nice food and drink

As an indication, he normally goes to The Oak when he meets his friends in the week.

Any help gratefully received. He's looking for somewhere for this Sunday. Thanks SE1ers

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 10 March 2005 12.06pm
Hi Gramps
How about the Horseshoe (just off Snowsfields) - has a back room with table and very comfortable chairs for old bones.
And the jukebox can't really be heard from in there.
The food's not bad and the beer seems ok too (very vague recollections of this)
Just don't go on the first Sunday of the month (not to play bridge anyway) as there is an English Folk jamming seesion (which is fantastic - lots of accordions and the odd helican and serpant too!)
Thursday 10 March 2005 12.09pm
Good one, thanks. Keep the ideas coming (please).

Thursday 10 March 2005 2.28pm
The Oak is open until 6pm on Sundays now, maybe you can persuade them to make it a liitle later.
Thursday 10 March 2005 5.06pm
I was planning to go to the Oak for lunch, and fancied a change for dinner ;0)

Thursday 10 March 2005 6.08pm
There's also the Britannia - I think it's part of the 'Simon' chain ...
Friday 11 March 2005 6.57am
We want to go to a tea dance - is there one around?
Friday 11 March 2005 9.30am
Never been to the Brittannia. Might try that. Thanks Julie.

Any more ideas, please keep them coming.

[Not sure where grandpa I goes dancing Jackie. You should have asked him last night]

Friday 11 March 2005 9.42am
Not sure the Brittania opens on Sunday though - minor drawback - STT doesn't.

How about the back room of the Market Porter?

[I'm sure I saw grandpa dancing last night. Either that or he slipped on a kebab. Not a pretty sight.]
Friday 11 March 2005 9.46am
Try "The Lord Clyde" just off Marshalsea St, about 114 m from Borough tube station, maybe the 3rd or 4th street up on the right. I stopped in yesterday on Alan's recommendation and was pleased with menu, beers, human space, decor, old fashionedness. (But what do I know? I'm Merkan.) There's a room off on the right with space for bridge players, and the entrance is sufficiently user friendly to allow access for even the most elegant and elaborate of zimmerframes.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: