Walking down Hatfields at night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 March 2005 6.17pm
Do any of you find walking down Hatfields a bit spooky at night?

I often have to walk that way to get late night shopping at The Cut. What with the office buildings shut, the horrible orange street lights, and the delect park its a bit grim.

Has anyone had any bad experiences there or am I letting my imagination get the better of me?
Sunday 13 March 2005 7.54pm
I like to think of Hatfields as having a kind of shabby charm to it, but you are right it is a bit desolate at night. Ive never had any problems but you do have to walk it wearing your "dont mess with me" face.

Have they finished preparing those new sports surfaces? Maybe when they become popular for evening sports the area will be livelier (Im assuming they are lit?).

Monday 14 March 2005 10.14am
Really glad that you haven't had any problems, I wasn't sure if it really was dodgy or if I had just reacted to the late night desolate atmosphere....

And yes, the courts are finished and being used which is great, they are lit until 9:30 during the week which does help. But its the late night dash for bread and milk when its a bit spooky.
Monday 14 March 2005 12.35pm
Willow Walk is very scary too, very dark and young girls walking on their own. Anyone could get them.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 7.46pm
I agree about Willow Walk. I think its my least favourite road in SE1. (not there's a thread...)
Wednesday 16 March 2005 12.18am
Hatfields is fine, in my experience. Maybe don't go down there in the dark, if you feel uneasy - which you might say for many streets. it's all about perceptiions. Not being smug. It was a lot worse 200 years ago, if you watched Peter Ackroyd's marvelous series recently.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 3.01pm
Peter Ackroyd's "London" was wonderful wasn't it. It's currently being repeated on BBC2, Tuesdays at 7pm.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 4.28pm
I walk down Willow Walk regularly, I must admit that it's a bit bleak.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 6.50pm
So glad the Ackroyd is being repeated - is it about all of london, or just southwark?

Saturday 19 March 2005 7.26pm
It's about all of London. Sadly, the last one is on Tuesday.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: