It may be listed but you can tinker with it!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 11 March 2005 1.57pm
The wall of the Marshalsea Prison is listed, but obviously the steps were a recent addition, and
the lights are new.

January 1st 2002

March 11th 2005
Friday 11 March 2005 2.58pm
I think this was to create step free access to St George's Churchyard Gardens - there is now a ramp on the other side of the wall.

However, I suspect it won't be sufficient to bring the gardens back into wider use until those with "anti-social habits" continue to intimidate other visitors.

Did the lousily designed Dickens panels on the wall of John Harvard Library on the other side of Angel Place get replaced after the attentions of local youth?
Friday 11 March 2005 3.33pm
I did pop in to the studies library a few weeks ago and asked about those Dickens panels.
They said they were supposed ot be vandal proof !!!! Some committee is now discussing
whether they can be re-hung higher up on the Marsmalsea wall.
I wonder how many 1000's of pounds all that has cost.
I still have several photos of the panels - if they're not replaced the photos might be the only
record they ever existed.
Friday 11 March 2005 9.46pm
It was hoped that opening up the gate pictured would make access easier from the estates and from the alley, which is used by loads of kids on the way from school, but would also help to create a bit of through-traffic and bring more people into the park, which in turn would help people feel safer in there, and make it less of a cul-de-sac of 'unsocial behaviour'. Whether it has this effect remains to be seen. Under new regs, the gates could not be opened up unless the entrance was made disability-friendly, hence the ramp and removal of the steps. The steps were also not up to health and safety standards.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: