Southwark Street Accident

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 11 March 2005 2.07pm
Hi - Does anyone knwo what happened on Southwark Street, wher St Christopher House used to be, on Wednesday eve/ Thursday morning? The street wa sealed off and there were 2 fire engines and 2 ambulances. I am a wimp as far as accidents are concerned so I didn't stop, but Iit looked quite serious.
Friday 11 March 2005 2.16pm
I expect to take some flak for this, but I find it odd that these sort of requests for info about accidents crop up - particularly when someone describes themselves as a wimp but nevertheless wants the details. I can understand comments about road saftey etc., but there was a lengthy debate [with pictures] on this site a while ago about an accident that took place in Borough High Street and I remember thinking at the time that there seemed to be a odd fascination for analysing what had happened to whom in great detail that went beyond public safety concerns. I'm not getting at anyone in particular [or general], just curious to understand the desire to 'rubber neck' in print - or at all?

o.k - I've put my tin hat on.......

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 March 2005 2.19pm by janefs.
Friday 11 March 2005 2.33pm
The incident is reported in today's South London Press.

An 18-year-old female pedestrian had to be freed from under the chassis of a Mercedes.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 11 March 2005 2.34pm
If I had seen this incident I would have taken a picture with no qualms. Bad news is BIG NEWS.
Always carry a camera, you never know when the opportunity to capture an event will pop up.
Blimey! I feel so guilty.
Friday 11 March 2005 2.35pm
to janefs:

I see what you mean - however, the day before this accident I filled out a questionnaire for my kids' school regarding safety on their way to school. I refuse to take my kids to school by car, but with all te building sites, mad cyclists and bikers and blind truck drivers, never mind stressed parents in their 4x4's running late on the school run because of all the other idiots in their 4x4's clogging up crossings etc, I thought there might be something to support my case why the area is so dangerous, even late at night. I was surprised at myself, but even now thinking of that accident makes my fingers go numb. I get sworn at by white van drivers for daring to take my kids to school on foot in the morning, so to be honest, if it takes a fatal accident to prove that traffic on these streets is dangerous, I don't care, I just don't want me or my kids to be teh next victims. Rant over.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 March 2005 2.36pm by ed3mor.
Friday 11 March 2005 5.11pm
ed3mor - I can see a point in publicising basic details about any accident that highlights an issue about road safety, [such as the notorious Blackfriars Bridge cycle lane] and I do not have a problem with using such publicity to get the message across to anybody and maybe get things changed for the better. However, I do feel disquiet about rubber necking and phoney's obvious lack of 'guilt' [sarcastic end comment of his post aside] about taking pictures of someone under the wheels of a car. I hope at least you'd reach for the phone first.....
Friday 11 March 2005 9.52pm
janefs

It's called human curiosity. Don't smother it with political correctness. Why waste time lecturing people on this friendly site?
Friday 11 March 2005 10.01pm
Isn't it healthy human nature to be curious about things one doesn't often get the chance to see? The bit I would hesitate about is taking photos where people are involved - I certainly wouldn't want to be photographed and posted on the 'net if I was injured or upset. I wouldn't mind the inanimate part of an accident being photographed though - it might even be useful afterwards.
Friday 11 March 2005 10.29pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't it healthy human nature to be curious about
> things one doesn't often get the chance to see?
> The bit I would hesitate about is taking photos
> where people are involved - I certainly wouldn't
> want to be photographed and posted on the 'net if
> I was injured or upset. I wouldn't mind the
> inanimate part of an accident being photographed
> though - it might even be useful afterwards.

I wouldn't say that bad accidents in this area are things that one doesn't often get the chance to see. This person apparently survived, but in the 6 or so years I have been living here, there have been at least 3 casualties on Southwark Street. The flowers for the last one are still stuck to the lampost. I am not blinded by exagerated political correctness either, but I think that if someone stood gawping while somebody close to me lay on the pavement dying, I would have to be restrained.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 March 2005 10.31pm by ed3mor.
Saturday 12 March 2005 1.10am
Agreed - it is human curiosity. I wasn't aware that I was being politically correct in expressing my opinion, but what has been mis-interpreted as 'p.c ness' has nothing to do with my not wanting to take the curiosity further and see details or want to photograph such situations. I know my limitations - I need to keep my distance otherwise I would probably fall in a dead faint. Apologies to ed3mor if my remarks upset you.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: