wards in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 August 2002 12.16pm
Hi all, can anybody tell me if Grange Rd SE1 is in Bricklayers ward or not. I have seen a list and a map of the wards in Southwark, and it looks like it is, however, when I look at another source of information, it mentions a "Grange ward" for the area around Grange Rd. I am moving to Grange Rd, and want to know if I'll be exempt from the dreaded stamp duty or not !
many thanks...
Tuesday 20 August 2002 1.37pm
Surely some wards aren't exempt from stamp duty?
Tuesday 20 August 2002 4.05pm
yes, there probably are, but I'd just like to know if Grange Road is in a ward called Bricklayers or a ward called Grange. thanks.
Tuesday 20 August 2002 4.08pm
Thursday 22 August 2002 1.05pm
At the risk of out-doing our esteemed editor for obscure knowledge:

Its not that simple - this bizarre scheme (for properties costing less than 150,000) still operates on the original ward boundaries in operation at the time of the legislation - they were:
Lambeth: Angell, Vassall, Gipsy Hill, Larkhall, Bishop's, Stockwell, Ferndale, St. Martin's, Tulse Hill, Prince's, Oval, Knight's Hill, Town Hall

Southwark: Friary, Consort, Liddle, Brunswick, Rotherhithe, Chaucer, Barset St., The Lane, Burgess, St. Giles, Cathedral, Browning, Faraday, Abbey, Newington, Waverley, Bellenden, Bricklayers

I think this includes all of SE1 - it gets more complicated further south in both Lambeth and Southwark. Very few solicitors understand the scheme.

Southwark no longer produce a map of their pre-2002 wards, and so some sellers/estate agents take a punt by claiming properties are eligible - lord knows what offence they/buyer/buyer's solicitor would get charged with if they did evade the duty by making a false claim on the eligibility of property.

The Stamp Taxes Office have now introduced a postcode search facility

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/so/pcode_search.htm

You can also see the new and old ward maps at a site which Ordnance Survey set up for the benefit of local politicians in advance of the boundary changes. Enter Southwark or Lambeth as the local authority and then view by postcode or (much more slowly) by using cursor on the map: Remember to tick the boxes for the boundaries you want to see.

http://www.election-maps.co.uk

Updated to get links to work

Post edited (04 Jun 03 17:40)
Friday 30 August 2002 3.09pm
Yep, bit late for you maybe, but the boy Rabbie is correct, inland revenue will tell you - there's a phone number on the site too if I remember and they were most polite and helpful.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: