Last chance to drive down Trinity Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 20 August 2002 1.40pm

This road will soon be closing for good, so if you really like driving along it, don't hang around!
Tuesday 20 August 2002 3.37pm
David, why is it closing? where will the traffic go to? there'll be a free for all at the borough won't there?
Wednesday 28 August 2002 3.15am
i don't know about a free for all - 'cos I'll be walking! i assume it's closing to stop the free-for-all rat run around the square. at least i hope so as i see more dangerous driving here than at elephant & castle roundabout - despite the blind spots caused by rows of parked cars, drivers insist on taking the shortest route around the corners rather than the, probably slightly old-fashioned, method of driving on the right side of the road. well that's that off my chest - and won't it be a joy for residents to sit in the henry wood hall garden with NO CARS driving past!
Wednesday 28 August 2002 2.55pm
I'm with Kate - how fantastic! Look forward to enjoying it in safety on my bike or walking.
Friday 30 August 2002 10.21am
Walked that way today and noticed that all the commuter traffic coming north up Trinity Street skirt the road closure by going right just before the blockage down Globe St, left down Cole Street, left again at Swan Street and back onto Trinity Street before joining Borough High Street.

So now the residents of those streets have to endure the careening cars doing corners on virtually two wheels.

Commuter traffic - just like water, will always find the path of least resistance...oh and a touch shocking if you get unexpectedly covered in it.
Saturday 7 September 2002 11.30am
I am sure this is all very lovely indeed for those privileged people living in Trinity Street. For those on Swan Street, it is far from safe with idiots ignoring one-way signs at any stage of the new arrangement and they get automatically fed into the snarl of would-be short-cutters with no choice of avoiding them. The time it takes to turn out of Swan Street during peak periods is ridiculous. There have been a number of accidents at the top of Swan Street, and several loud and volatile arguments in the street at various times of day.

What a good idea!
Monday 9 September 2002 10.59am
the 21 bus took 15 minutes to get down Great Dover Street thanks to this scheme...something will have to be altered or else someone is going to get hurt with drivers trying to edge into great dover street...
Tuesday 10 September 2002 12.10pm
look folks
this traffic calming scheme has been campaigned for vigorously for the past 10+ YEARS. It has been EXTENSIVELY consulted on.
Trinity Church Square and its environs is a RESIDENTIAL conservation area that has been used inappropriately as a dangerous rat-run for years causing pollution and environmental abuse to what should be a QUIET residential Georgian Square.

Great Dover Street is the MAIN Trunk road that the Traffic AND buses should be on in the first place and has been designed for this purpose (incl main junction with borough high street).

The scheme is only just bedding in, but alreadt trinity street is being used more by cyclists and pedestrians and whats more it is now pleasant to live here.
Unfortunately there may need to be some tweaking, to prevent traffic spilling onto Cole street, but this is in hand. Unfortunately the more radical scheme which should have been implemented and would have removed ALL through traffic from this residential area was not implemened. This was after complaints from some residents.

The improvement to the general lives of RESIDENTS in this area has been remarkable. So you drivers get back onto the main roads, quit rat-running at speed infront of our front doors and let us all enjoy our heritage.
Tuesday 10 September 2002 2.38pm
I fully appreciate that the residents of Trinity Church Square are enjoying improvements resulting from this change. Unfortunately, much (all?) of the traffic has merely been displaced (and not to Great Dover Street). In the mornings, Falmouth Road is now a continuous stream of traffic moving at about 1mph. As has already been noted, a number of other local residential roads have been similarly affected.

It is all very well that one group has seen improvements to their quality of life but this change has inflicted increased traffic and pollution on other local residents. Despite ten years of campaigning, this scheme has clearly not been thought through properly. What exactly is the point of moving the problem from one road to another?
Tuesday 10 September 2002 3.20pm
Maybe it will all get better once congestion charging's introduced!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: