Peace in Jubilee Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 15 March 2005 2.04pm
Does anyone recall a statue called Peace that used to stand at the south end of Jubilee Gardens? It was a bronze of a young girl holding a white marble dove. The dove was frequently stolen and had to be replaced, but since the GLC disappeared I haven't seen either statue or dove. Does anyone know what happened to them?
John Dwyer
Tuesday 15 March 2005 3.14pm
I understand that one of the South Bank lions was recently found in the basement of Councty Hall.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 3.58pm
The Sarah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand that one of the South Bank lions was
> recently found in the basement of Councty Hall.

What? A whole lion? Some basement.
J

Tuesday 15 March 2005 5.48pm
Yes you can see one by Westminster Bridge.

It is some basement. It manages to house a whole Aquarium including a few sharks, so why not a lion.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 6.02pm
1) The missing Peace sculpture...

You could check with the Hayward Gallery - it might have been absorbed into the Arts Council collection. Since 2003, most of the sculpture from the collection is now located at the Longside Gallery in the Yorkshire Sculpture Park

2) South Bank lions

Sarah, this is the first I've heard of one of the smaller lions turning up - any further information?

From the Public Monuments & Sculpture Association database:

"The South Bank Lion, Westminster Bridge
Woodington, William Frederick
Designed 1837 "

"A colossal Coade stone lion mounted on a tall granite plinth with rounded ends. Originally painted red, the paint was stripped off in 1951 when the lion was removed from its original setting. Although at first it was hoped that the artificial stone could be left in its uncoloured state, blemishes in the surface rendered it necessary to give it at least a coating of colour approximating as closely as possible the natural colour. "

Signatures: On the lion paw: W. F. W. Coade 24 May 1837

"Refer to proximity of Coade Manufactory. "

"The piece weighs thirteen tons, was made in separate parts cramped together and was painted red. Made, along with two smaller lions, for The Lion Brewery, Belvedere Road (1836 by Francis Edwards), to decorate its river front parapet. When the brewery was demolished in 1950 to make way for the Royal Festival Hall, the larger lion was preserved and erected, at the wish of King George VI, at the entrance to Waterloo Railway Station. "

"When the lion was removed it was found to have a bottle containing two William IV coins and a Coade trade card in a recess in the its back. In 1966, as a result of the redevelopment of Waterloo Station, the GLC transferred the lion to its present position on Westminster Bridge and named it ‘The South Bank Lion'. In addition, they replaced the bottle, adding a 1966 coin, a copy of the GLC Chairman's letter published in The Times, 17 March 1966, which gave a brief history of the lion, and a copy of an article on Coade stone by J. H. Holroyd, published in The Times, 5 March 1966."

Wednesday 16 March 2005 12.50am
It was mentioned during a South Bank Forum or something. Maybe the Forum meeting that was held at County Hall. I don't really remember though it is clearly not something I would have just made up - not knowing anything about South Bank Lions before.

Saturday 13 December 2008 6.15pm
On the website www.british-history.ac.uk there a photographs of the two lions, one on the parapet of the brewery facing the river, and the smaller lion over the gateway in Belvedere Road. It is my opinion that the Coade Stone Manufactory was not on the site of the Festival Hall, but in Jubilee Gardens.
Sunday 14 December 2008 11.50am
The Lions were from the old Lion Brewery, which was on the site of the Festival Hall.

The Coade Stone Manufactory was a hundred yards furter south on Narrow Wall (later Belevedere Road).

I think it is the plot shown as a slateworks in the 1872 Ordnance Survey map, so it is either the southernmost bit of the current Hungerford car park or the northernmost part of Jubilee Garden next to Belvedere Road

Somewhat confusingly, the volume of the Survey of London now published www.british-history.ac.uk has more pictures of the Coade showroom on Westminster Bridge Road than of the manufactory.
Sunday 14 December 2008 11.59am
BTW The original question has never been answered.

If the original poster wasn't mistaken about the location, what happened to the sculpture?
Sunday 14 December 2008 4.33pm
On Richard Harwood's 1792 - 1799 Plan of london and Westminster, which can be seen at www.oldlondonmaps.com/18thclondon.html the the factory is clearly marked as Coades Artificial Stone Manufactory. Is it possible to locate the position of where the old King's Arms Stairs on the river would have been, which led to Narrow Wall?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: