Looking for a decent Supermarket?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 15 March 2005 6.17pm
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to find a decent supermarket within walking distance of Union street if poss? I know theres a small sainsburys, and various other small shops, but is there an iceland/tescos type place closer than elephant and castle/the far end of old kent road?

Tuesday 15 March 2005 7.06pm
There's a small Iceland in Lower Marsh.

To be honest, the Elephant is probably your best bet.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 7.13pm
Cats, try walking around the area, and remember to support your local shops.
Tuesday 15 March 2005 7.41pm
If you want supermarkets, decent or indecent, Union St is not the place to be. Your choices are: (small and overpriced, but handy) Sainsbury's, or bus/tube/train/car, or internet shopping, or 'convenience' stores.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 10.26am
Has anyone been to the new Asda on Old Kent Road?
Wednesday 16 March 2005 11.12am
yes lots of people have.

...including me and Mrs R - they do a larger variety of ciders than Tesco, and I personally prefer George at Asda, than Cherokee from Tesco.

my feeling is that it's nicer, but probably only because it's new and shiney.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 16 March 2005 11.23am
I went to Asda on OKR on a Saturday afternoon (I won't be doing that again - it was heaving with people) and almost everything I picked up was on or just a day before it's expiry date. Nothing looked particularly fresh.

I still prefer Surrey Quays Tesco, especially since Asda opened it is so quite in there.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 12.18pm
Hmmm okay - wonder which is closest to get to? Basically I'm within walking distance of work now, so will be selling back my oyster card, and dont have a car or anything. So possibly a bus to E&C from Southwark would be the best way to go... is there a bus from round here to Surrey Quays to save me getting 2 tubes?

and is there a bus to the ASDA? looked quite far down Old Kent Road though the mapping app may have gotten it wrong (near the junction with Ossary road or something similar?) so not really walkable?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 March 2005 12.19pm by cats.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 12.29pm
The 188 or No 1 goes to Surrey Quays. Starts at the Elephant and down to TBR and then the No 1 goes throug the Blue (which has a few shops) and the 188 continues down to Jamacia Road.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 12.32pm
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: