Moving To London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 16 March 2005 7.45am
Hi i was just wondering if any of ye could advise me of good area to rent in, in London. I will be working on LiverPool street. So what areas are pretty close to that. about 10/15 mins by bus/ tube. Alltho only one tube.. don't want to be switching etc.

I would like the area to have a bit of a buzz about it, ya know some good pubs nearby etc.

Also if ye can be a bit unbiased that would be great.. i mean if there are suitable areas other than those in SE1 please do advise me.. I don't know London at all.

Not too expensive.. an area where I can get a single room for about 80 pounds.

thanks very much
Wednesday 16 March 2005 8.24am
I don't think that your list of requirements will be fulfilled for 80 pounds per week. In SE1, the 'normal' sort of rent amount seems to be about 100 per week, and that's in the worst end of SE1 (although it's not that bad).

If you want a place with a buzz and want to be able to get to Liverpool street quickly then Borough high street area is the best bet, as you have the most buses that go up Bishopsgate to the city, and Liverpool Street station.

Another good bus link to Liverpool Street is the 78 bus route, that goes from Bermondsey/ Old Kent Road area of SE1 up to Liverpool Street station, and takes about 20 mins. I live in this area and get the bus to/ from work each day and the service is good, although you don't always get a seat.

The best place I think to look for rooms to rent is in Loot (www.loot.co.uk)
Wednesday 16 March 2005 8.46am
Yes, Loot is great andit's on line. You would probably only get a flat share for eighty quid. Walworth and the Old Kent Road are fine, where we are at the Elephant and Castle is fabulous for everything, bang on the tube and dozens of buses. You could clock into our website www.metrocentralheights.com and see if there are people looking for sharers in our flats.
Wednesday 16 March 2005 10.15am
Also [dare I suggest] if you are going to be working around the Liverpool Street area you could look around Whitechapel/Hackney areas - the Brick Lane area is very lively, as is Hoxton/Shoreditch - no idea about renting costs but yes go for Loot
Thursday 17 March 2005 8.07am
cool thanks a million for that help....
Ok so seems like ill have to up my budget a bit!!

Yeah i was looking at elephant and castle.. or how about surrey quays?? what is that like

I suppose most important is that there is good transport

any other areas... what is the SW of london like?? Or is that convenient for getting to Liverpool st.

thanks again
Thursday 17 March 2005 8.20am
If you are concerned about budget it is worth looking at a bus map as buses are a lot cheaper than the tube especially if you get a weekly or monthly pass.

The 344 goes from Clapham Junction to Liverpool Street but can take about an hour for the full journey in the morning. It meanders round SE1 and also goes through reasonably cheap places like Vauxhall and the Elephant. It is reasonably reliable. By and large SW London is more expensive than SE.

Which is why I aspire to becoming Wandsworth woman. (Dratt. I am not married to a banker, don't have a big car and my daughter refuses to comb her hair or learn ballet.)

Thursday 17 March 2005 8.22am
SW is terribly expensive unless you go way out...and since you;re working in the City why would you go there? Stay in the SE...1,16,17....they are cool areas which are getting better all the time and lots of fun young people are living there. SW is full of families with 2.2 children and I dont think that's what you're coming to London to meet. And closer to work means less money on transport (no small matter believe me!)
Thursday 17 March 2005 8.38am
I agree with Jackie: SW is a safe if not boring bet. What is wonderful about this SE1/16/17 area is the mix of people, it's proximity to the west end and city, it's cultural history and indeed an excellent bus network. I have an annual bus pass and hardly ever take the tube. In 6 years time there will be a tram form Peckham to the west end in 16 minutes. Do have a look in Peckham- very up and coming.
Thursday 17 March 2005 10.15am
Peckham (SE15) is a little bit further out, but is relatively cheap, and has excellent public transport. The 78 (Nunhead to Liverpool Street) goes through there, and the trains from Peckham Rye go to London Bridge, Charing Cross and Victoria, I think, and only take about 10 minutes. It's not to everyone's taste, but it has its own charm, and is getting a better selection of bars and restaurants now.
Thursday 17 March 2005 12.28pm
eighty pounds? is that the going rate for one room? next year I'm gonna decorate and let a room out!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: