Summer Job

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
radekg Sunday 27 March 2005 6.51pm
Hi,
anyone knows where I could find a summer job?
phoneyâ„¢ Monday 28 March 2005 9.33am
Have you considered selling earplugs outside the Tate to counteract that bloke with the bird
whistles. Or maybe umbrellas during July/Aug/Sep. Nice outside job, no tax and start and finish
when you like.
Or set up a bead stall like that one in Hays Galleria (see paulh photos). Ideal spot by wobbly bridge
with all the passersby.
sarah2 Monday 28 March 2005 6.33pm
Phoney,
What is up with you. Nobody gave you an Easter Egg. Or yuo are feeling bloated from too much chocolate.

That said, I suspect the opportunities for summer work are reduced by the large number of young Poles and Slovaks who are also looking. My best advice would be to look for employment agencies who advertise temp vacanices. Or large employers like hotel chains who again might take on casual workers.

A better alternative might be to think about what interests you, and then apply directly. "Explainer" at the Science Museum or casual work in a museum, Kew Gardens or in a Theatre.
Claire T Tuesday 29 March 2005 7.58am
If you are happy to do bar work just get hold of TNT magazine from outside most tube stations, or pop into local bars - they are often looking for staff.
radekg Tuesday 29 March 2005 8.55am
sarah2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(...)
> That said, I suspect the opportunities for summer
> work are reduced by the large number of young
> Poles and Slovaks who are also looking.
(...)

Thank you for your replies. The bit about Slovaks and Poles was great :D Hmm... now.. the moment of truth. I'm a student of English Philology at the Warsaw University in Poland. I want to work and have some fun in London, so I'll probably spend in London all the money I'll earn there. I hope you're not angry with me ;-) If anyone plans to visit Warsaw and needs a guide, you can count on me :) Although I think Cracow is much nicer than Warsaw...
barkyhead Tuesday 29 March 2005 11.08pm
We're not angry with you at all. Lots of galleries and museums require temporary staff during the summer to cope with the tourists, they often advertise in the Evening Standard, I don't know if you hve access to that newspaper.
sarah2 Wednesday 30 March 2005 7.14am
I'm certainly not angry with you. Nor with the many good natured and hard working young Poles and Slovaks who are working in bars resturants shops and elsewhere. Anyone used to the lack of British service culture will have noticed the difference. Even B&Q, a major hardware chain are quoting the availability of cheap Polish building workers as a reason why the British are giving up their culture of DIY.

My point, based on a conversation with my (Polish) hairdresser on Saturday, was that she was lucky that she had managed to get a job lined up in advance. PLus a resturant owner in Soho who told me he had lost count of the number of young Central Europeans knocking on his door asking if he had work.

My other point about think of what you might like to do and approaching employers directly is based on the experience of my (Slovak) au pair, whose best friend, also an au pair, had studied environment at university and was able to get a Saturday job as an "explainer" at Kew Gardens. Great for a CV. I am told that the Bayswater Ice Rink is more or less taken over by young Slovaks, presumably with a background in ice hockey.

Have you got accomodation lined up. And do you have any gardening, building, carpentry skills. Accomodation in London is really expensive. And so is transport if you are living outside the centre. One option might be to see if any SE1'ers have a spare room and need some help over the summer. The au pair deal is a room and food, plus circa £55 a week pocket money (we throw in a bus pass worth about £10 as well), and you work 25 hours, on ligtht housework, childcare or whatever. You are then free to study, look for a bar job or go out and have a good time.

Most of the au pairs I know are enjoying themselves. London has a large number of young people from Australia, South Africa, Ireland, France and Italy and just about everywhere else. A summer in London will be fun. And SE1 is a particularly good place to be.

Good luck.

Sarah

The Unladylike Ms. Jo Friday 1 April 2005 8.58pm
Radek,

Sarah is right, accomodation will be more of a problem than finding work. You can expect to pay £100 or more per week for a room, unless you share or live far out from the centre. Travel is also expensive. If you can get accomodation with your work, that would be ideal.
Louisa Saturday 2 April 2005 12.24pm
I agree about the standard of service etc; this country has always benefitted from immigrants seeking work here. However, the fact that employers are prepared to pay wages much lower than they would to existing workers puts people out of work. For example, a plasterer I know was not getting work as he said it was being given to East Europeans, some of whom will work for £30 a day. This creates division & conflict between people.
I am not by any means suggesting that immigrants should not come here to seek work or be employed - I am saying that they should not be exploited by unscrupulous employers paying ridiculously low wages just because they know they can get away with it.
I know what you're thinking - dream on !
radekg Saturday 2 April 2005 12.54pm
I think £30 a day is below the minimal wage(of course it depends how many hours... but let's say 8, so that's £3.75/hour). So the employers are breaking the law. Unless you mean the illegal immigrants working without a work permit. I think that's how it is all over the world. A few years ago in Poland we had a problem with immigrants from Russia and all the former Soviet countries. They need visas now so the problem got solved.
Well, I'm looking just for a summer job and I believe that I won't put anybody out of their job :)

Concerning the accommodation... over £100 per week is much too expensive for me... I was thinking of finding something for about £50-£60... anyone got a spare room?:P

If you find any mistakes in my english could you please let me know? Thanks. :)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions