Dentist - is that a rip-off?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Sunday 3 April 2005 10.24pm
i've been to my denstist (on jamaica road - nhs one) for a check up, and found out i need a root treatment and full crown.
their quotation - silver crown with treatment - £175, and if i want ceramic one....£375!! (with the treatment)
they explained that nhs doesn't cover ceramic option, so it's expensive - but even if the silver one, isn't that too much (that's nhs covered)??
i asked my colleagues who have been to the dentist and they said they only paid around £60 for ceramic!

it sounds like a rip-off, even if that's for private. has anyone had a full crown (silver or ceramic)?
if so, please let me know how much you paid for it - as i'd like to try another dentist.
Monday 4 April 2005 6.36am
I seem to remember paying around £200 for one NHS course of treatment, which was effectively one tooth which ended up with a crown, and a few other little bits and pieces. I remember being horrified realising that there was little difference between the NHS and Private prices. So its conceivable that you could find cheaper by shopping around among private dentists. I'm not sure how you could get a handle on the quality of their work though.
Monday 4 April 2005 7.43am
As far as I know, my Harley St. dentist would charge all of that and more..which is why I dont go as often as I should. Yes, a ring-around is probably your best option.
Monday 4 April 2005 7.58am
I had three crowns on my front teeth about 10 months ago. My NHS dentist offered them at £80 each, for ceramic front and nickel back, or £250 each for ceramic front and white gold back. I suspect that your dentist is talking about the back of The Crown when they offer 'silver'.

I went for the white gold as my problem was my top and bottom front teeth were grinding, and the white gold is softer than nickel, meaning my front bottom teeth would not grind down as quickly.

The good news is that is doesn't hurt much, although I did have a local.

The bad news is that my dentist is nowhere near SE1 - they're in SW7!
Monday 4 April 2005 11.54am

Crowns are expensive... I had one done, privately, with my dentist in Kidbrooke. It cost about £250 about 2 years ago for a ceramic crown for a back molar. I've been with my dentist for years, and I know he's not a rip off merchant. It's partly the time it takes, that makes it expensive - I had to have about 3 appointments, one an hour long, and that was all included in the cost. If you want to try calling him his practice is the Eastbrook Dental Practice on Eastbrook Rd, Kidbrooke, but sorry I don't have his number with me...
Monday 4 April 2005 3.11pm
That does seem quite a lot for NHS treatment to me. Try my dentist 25 Tower Bridge Rd. Mr Annobil 0207 407 7427. He's done quite a bit of work for me - crowns & bridges & I have been very happy with the result.
Monday 4 April 2005 3.16pm
charles ng...0207 703 9922 very good, old kent road.....
Monday 4 April 2005 3.18pm
Hey Plum - I just made an appointment with your dentist!!!! What a coincidence....very pleased to hear he's good, as I'm almost frantic with nerves!
Monday 4 April 2005 3.22pm
I had a wisdom tooth put in. Didn't work!

Be true to your teeth or they'll be false to you.
Monday 4 April 2005 3.29pm
Hello Honey! Don't worry, he's very good. I switched to him from Charles Ng and he's done some really good work for me.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: