swimming pool

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 31 August 2002 6.19pm
Some time ago there was a rumour that the old swimming pool at the leisure centre (now known as Fusion) at the Elephant was going to be re-opened. Does anyone know if there is any truth in that?
dan
Wednesday 4 September 2002 11.26am
Sorry I do not know the answer to that but on the same topic there was also a rumour that a floating swimming pool might be built on the Thames.

Here is a link

http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/Architecture/cities/d_webdes/barron_web/roof.html

Does anyone know what happened to this project

Dan
Saturday 7 September 2002 6.37pm
The floating pool sank along with most of the South Bank Urban Design Strategy. I heard that the proposed site was in a navigaiton channel, but that could be malicious. Is likely to be replaced with a new pool/leisure centre at Doon Street behind LWT. South Bank Employers Group are the driving force. And I hear they have put together the 10 million needed.

The Doon St site is not popular with many who feel that the Elephant is more accessible for most people. And residents who feel a South Bank site would be crowded out by office workers not local kids. Southwark are supposedly still attached to the idea of the Elephant, but if the Doon Steet project goes ahead there is not likely to be the money for a second pool. And given the overall uncertainty about the area around the Elephant, it may be hard to push the site.

This is all based on local gossip, so can't promise any is true. But it seems as if swimming pools are a hot topic for those who plan the future of the area behind closed doors.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: