Charles Booth Archive

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 April 2005 7.11am
All

I'm sure that everyone else will already know about this but I have only just found the Charles Booth OnLine Archive - http://booth.lse.ac.uk/ - and it makes fascinating reading.

Observations about the area between 1886 and 1903. He tried to interview the commercial occupants of my own building, the Simmons family, with regard to the level of wages paid to their workers. I note that they declined the interview!

Fascinating stuff.

Regards

Niall
Friday 8 April 2005 9.25am
Unfortunately, on most previous occasions people have previously asked questions on this forum about the history of a local address, I seem to have directed them to a page of Booth's notebooks that described their ancestor's address as a centre of prostitution or drunkenness!
Friday 8 April 2005 9.38am
From everythinmg I have read, prostitution and drunkenness were commonplace hereabouts in the 1800's. Some of the posts on this Forum suggest that drunkenness still maybe! (Shurely shome mishtake - Ed!)

Niall
Friday 8 April 2005 9.51am
the maps themselves are fascinating-copies are on the walls of the British Library of political and economic science and i remember spending lots of time looking at them when i was supposed to be studying for my degree-that's my excuse for not getting a first!
it is interesting to see areas of once abject poverty are now quite prosperous and how areas of slums and quite nice housing were in such close proximity.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network