History of The George, 111 Long Lane Bermondsey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 10 April 2005 8.59am
The George Pub at 111 Long Lane Bermondsey, stands on the site where my great grandfather, who was a Mechanical Engineer, lived during the early 1900's. He built mangles (early washing machines) as well as hydraulic pumps for the Admiralty.
I live in Australia and would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has any historical knowledge of the area, or any suggestions on where I might obtain information relating to such a business.
Monday 11 April 2005 7.57am
Vicki,

as someone who caught her fingers in the wooden rollers of mums old mangle fairly frequently, a mangle was not a washing machine! more a precursor of i suppose a spin dryer! an item that extracted water from towels, sheets, anything in fact that had not buttons on....a mangle was an enormous item, weighed a ton, on the top you had a double handed screw object that enabled you to adjust the pressure of the rollers...the item was fed in folded up carefully you then turned a iron handle ....and the pressure meant that you could get away without ironing! the water then dripped into a wooden tray , then into a bucket....

I lived in Long Lane from 1950, I remember the George...arrowroot biscuits for a penny...it's still there. It would have been next to the old Laxon School.
Monday 11 April 2005 8.52am
Hi,
Thank you for your reply and the information, but I do know what a Mangle was.
It is actually the history of the site that interests me, because we cannot find anything relating to grandfathers business being there, other than from the census of 1901.
My husband and I visited England in 2002, and The George was still there then and is even now still listed as a Pub.
Regards, Vicki
Monday 11 April 2005 9.29am
Try this site - no idea if it will have any relevant info, but it might point you in the direction of other sources that help.

http://www.londonancestor.com/
Monday 11 April 2005 9.32am
Vivki

Have you made any enquiries at Southwark Council's Local Studies Library?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/DiscoverSouthwark/LocalStudiesLibrary/

The annual trade directories of that period should have some mention of the business. The only complication might be if Long Lane was renumbered by the Post Office at some point.

What was your grandfather's family name?

Going somewhat off-topic, I think I half-heard something on BBC Radio 4 (a month or so ago?) about the changing nature of accidents dealt with in Hospital Casualty Departments. Did I imagine some archive footage of a well spoken surgeon (who may well have been from Guy's or St Thomas' Hospital) talking about the expertise they had in dealing with mangle accidents in a hospital close to an area with a lot of washerwomen and commercial laundries?
Monday 11 April 2005 9.54am
http://www.londonmuseums.org/bigpics/mangle.html

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 April 2005 9.55am by a man called Tharg.
Monday 11 April 2005 1.05pm
sorry vicki...i misunderstood your post!
Jac
Monday 11 April 2005 3.26pm
Jan
Moving up the road a bit, do you remember what the shops between wilds rents and The Ship were in years past. I live in Long lane so would love to hear a bit about what it was like in 1950
Tuesday 12 April 2005 10.25am
Thank you JO. Will try that website
Tuesday 12 April 2005 10.33am
Thank you Lang. Will try Southwark Library. Grandfather's name was Francis Frederick Cope. There is a Cope Street in SE1, but probably not named after the family. As we live in Australia, and not in England, we of course do not get BBC Radio 4 - wish we did - it sounds really interesting.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: