Hartley - Again!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 11 April 2005 9.46am
My wife took me to the Hartley on Saturday - very nice of her but the place is still absolutely awful.

They just don't seem to get how to run a restaurant. The one poor girl in their was run off her feet and had no support from a completely gormless chap who just stood their looking confused.

People were having to seat themselves, get their own cuttlery from the service station, help themselves to the condiments etc. It then took me another 20 mins to get a second drink from the waiter (would happily have gone to the bar to get this but there is nobody dedicated to being at the bar to serve people!).

My steak was OK but wasn't cheap.

It's a shame, I really wanted to be proved wrong on this, my third visit but I wasn't.
Monday 11 April 2005 10.08am
Where would this forum be without its tri-monthly Hartley thread!

I went the other night and the service was pretty good and the food was excellent.

But, yes, I agree that on the whole the waiters/bar staff are irrepressibly gormless.
Monday 11 April 2005 11.44am
I'm also off the Hartley again...went on Bank Holiday Monday, and had very slow service, both for drinks and food ordering, and had to ask for condiments again. Asked for my burger rare - came medium to well done. Anyway, that would have been okay(ish) until we were given the pudding menu (passed over the bar to us) and then 10 minutes later, when we tried to order puddings from someone else they told us the kitchen was closed, but we could wait until 6.30 if we wanted? It's just always a bit crap there - nothing's quite right, and there's always something that makes you think, hmmm this is not worth the money. So, until the I forget again, and go in another 3 months, it's off my food list!
Monday 11 April 2005 1.37pm
....and did I hear that they were runners up in "best gastropub" award again?
Monday 11 April 2005 1.55pm
Yes - we went just after they'd lost - maybe despondency at losing made them think why bother...
Wednesday 13 April 2005 2.33pm
Phew. And I thought it was just me who didn't like the Hartley...

I went in last Wednesday night to have a quiet pint. After ordering and paying at the bar we grabbed the comfy seats near the door only to be wistled at by the bartender. He was trying to get our attention because we forgot to collect our change.

I'm all for supporting local businesses but they have to try harder then that to impress me.

The only thing the place has got going for it is it's location and one (very) helpful waitress and one semi-helpful waiter (no, not the floppy-haired guy). I'd rather walk an extra 5 minutes and eat in The Bermondsey Kitchen or The Garisson.

What's the food like in Simon The Tanner? I heard it changed ownership recently.

Kris
Wednesday 13 April 2005 2.41pm
Simon the Tanner is closed. Shame.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 4.03pm
I think we should ask James H. to provide us with a The Hartley and The Fort section.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 4.49pm
Can you get a good haircut at The Hartley?
Wednesday 13 April 2005 5.26pm
No, but they'll shave your parmesan.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: