Clink Prison to go?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 September 2002 10.00am
By the looks of this:

the prison will be evicted from its site. I know its not great but it does add to the character of the place. Do we really need another restaurant? It absolutely stinks of rotten food and cooking in clink street by the prison museum entrance already due to vinopolis restaurant. Write and complain online.
Thursday 21 February 2008 3.46pm
Good morning. I just registered for this site for several reasons. I am planning to visit London next years after several years absence. I am a crime historian here in Boston, Massachusetts so I was very excited to discover the Clink Prison Museum. I am, however, concerned about its possible disappearance. Is it still there? Also, is it on the site of the Old Bear Baiting Museum that I visited in the 1970s? Although the Museum was small and a little touristy, I still loved it for what it offered -- it was a quirky, off the beaten track experience built on the top of ERI's bear baiting pit. To an historian, this in and of itself is as exciting as the actual museum. Does anyone have any suggestions about other museums/sites that might interest a crime historian?

Thursday 21 February 2008 4.03pm
Hi Karen - I was disappointed when I went to the Clink Prison Museum a couple of years back. Lots of wax work dummies standing around, some in need of repair. This is just my personal opinion.

Being a crime histroian, you may be interested in Jack the Ripper. There are some great walks around the Whitechapel area of London (some are free) to give you a flavour of his hunting grounds. This one is good - do a search for "Jack the Ripper". Also, have a quick look here.

I have no association with any of the sites, I just enjoy the walks.
Thursday 21 February 2008 4.33pm
Hi Boss St. Bloke,

Thank you very much for your input and suggestion. I will definitely take a look.

Thursday 21 February 2008 4.56pm

Where you really need to be able to go is Scotland Yard's Black Museum (see link below). It's not open to the public (if you manage to go you'll soon realise why it's not) but maybe you can contact them and beg to be allowed to visit in some connection with your work. It really is worth it - I went years ago in a research capacity and it left some indelible memories...
Thursday 21 February 2008 4.58pm
Thank you La Martinet. You folks have been wonderfully helpful. I will definitely check it out. Sounds splendid.

Thursday 21 February 2008 5.17pm
I think the correct link is here

As a tenant of that building I hope that the development won't force out the rest of us as it is home to many in the creative industries..If the residents who live opposite were unable to oppose it succesfully then its a lost cause.In situations like this nothing is ever as it seems.
Don't assume the Prison musuem is the victim in this matter.
Thursday 21 February 2008 5.24pm
Just in case anyone is unclear the original message in this thread is more than five years old.

But as Nigel points out, a more recent application for a restaurant at the ground level of that building - with the museum in the basement - recently received planning permission.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: