Internet Cafes (or any other Internet access)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 September 2002 2.50pm
Hi,
I'm going to be staying near Castle and Elephant for 5 weeks in September/October and in order to get off work that long I have to stay in contact with my company here in the states. I'm going to have a laptop with me and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Internet Cafes nearby with good rates. I've been looking on the web, but I'm mostly finding ones far away...

Thanks,

Derek
Tuesday 3 September 2002 3.57pm
There's one on Tower Bridge Road near Trocette Mansions (junction with Grange Road.) There are also loads within easy access of Elephant, such as Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street etc. I'd have thought there were bound to be some in the immediate vicinity of Elephant though.
Tuesday 3 September 2002 10.00pm
There is a cafe near the Lloyds TSB in Borough high st that has a few pc's in the window, otherwise there are loads of internet cafe/international calling type things in Old kent road, otherwise try any local library.

Show a man how to make fire and he will be warm for hours, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Tuesday 3 September 2002 10.27pm
Newington Reference Library, at 155 Walworth Road, offers internet access. I haven't used it so can't say how much it costs or how well it works.

See http://www.southwark.gov.uk/templates/services/serviceDetail.cfm/994

This is about 1 minute's walk from Elephant shopping centre.

Paul
Tuesday 3 September 2002 10.36pm
Is the JoyNet internet cafe still open on the first floor of the Elephant Shopping Centre?

Alternatively if you've got a wi-fi card for your laptop it might be worth checking http://www.consume.net
Wednesday 4 September 2002 3.16pm
I tried going to the JoyNet home page and got a "no such domain" error :( The library may be workable, but I know at least here in the states Libraries usually won't let you plug in your own laptop; they usually have dedicated PCs. Is it different over there? For that matter, will the Internet Cafes let me plug in my own laptop?

Thanks,

Derek
Wednesday 4 September 2002 3.57pm
Derek,

I missed the bit about your having a laptop. Will you be staying somewhere that has a phone line? If so, as long as you bring a modem adaptor (our telephone plugs are different to yours) you can just plug and go.

LMJJ
Wednesday 4 September 2002 9.01pm
Hmmm. I'm staying in the Driscoll House, and I don't think they have a spare phone line. I guess I can call the Internet Cafes mentioned here and see if I can plug in. I would hate to have to lug everything down to a pay phone :)

Derek
Thursday 5 September 2002 12.28am
I remembered earlier today about the Enternetshop cafe in York Road (between Waterloo station and the London Eye) http://www.enetshops.com - just checked the site and it even says that you can use your own laptop - sounds perfect for you!
Thursday 5 September 2002 1.20pm
Excellent! That looks like exactly what I need. Than you, James.

Derek
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: