Thanks Simon Hughes!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 11 April 2005 9.50pm
Some of you will remember my posts about an Inland Revenue cheque (worth nearly 4000) that got stolen in the post, last year October.

I don't want to bore you with anymore of what I attempted in order to solve this problem but it was impossible to get anyone to take action: the IR, Abbey National, Royal Mail and the Police all could not care less. Their attitude was pretty much: get lost and stop whining. I was so exasperated that I decided to get in touch with our MP Simon Hughes. I wrote him a letter explaining that I needed help. Three days later (this is 2 weeks ago) he replied to me, sending me copies of letters that he sent to the Inland Revenue and the CEO of Abbey National.

I came back from holiday yesterday, and the Inland Revenue rang me to inform me that it is all solved, thanks to my MP. They asked me to give them my bank details so they could repay me as soon as possible. What took me 6 months without results, is solved in a fortnight by involving an MP

I am very grateful to Simon Hughes, especially because he knows that I am not able to vote simply because I am not British.

But, if I could, I would. That's how it works!
Monday 11 April 2005 11.55pm
great news Maurits. Glad the nightmare is over !

And good to hear a positive experience of a politician.

He replied to me within a week.... seems like he is v effecient
Tuesday 12 April 2005 4.43am
Very good news indeed Maurits, although it's shaming to think of the response you got before Simon Hughes became involved.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 7.55am
Indeed, Tharg. This post was not exactly meant to celebrate a triumph, but rather to point out that where Simon Hughes can, he'll help and he showed to be able to deliver on a promise.

Sal
Tuesday 12 April 2005 7.59am
We all know were your X will be on election day!!!!
Tuesday 12 April 2005 8.18am
Nowhere Sal, because I can't vote. That's the whole point- Hughes went out of his way knowing that iIcan't even vote.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 8.33am
Great news for you, Maurits.

On the effectiveness of MPs issue, I hate to pour cold water on Mr Hughes (especially as IMHO he's a pretty good/active constituency MP), but I find it more than coincidental that you have got such a quick response at this time of the political cycle. The last twice I wrote to him it took over two weeks to get a pre-printed ackowledgement of my letter. I then waited for a real response...and am waiting still.

(P.S. When I say "wrote", I actually faxed him, not trusting the post)

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 12.44pm
Maurits - you can register to vote. If you are a citizen of an EU country then you are eligible to vote in the UK. I don't think it's too late to register in time for the general election - check here: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/your-vote/registering.cfm

TLMJJ

PS - glad you got your refund sorted.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 1.01pm
I wish I could. EU citizens are only eligible to vote for the European Parliament.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 1.02pm
Maurits,

The drinks are on you?

Sarah

PS I am really pleased. It did seem both bizarre and unacceptable.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: