Pink lights / Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 12 April 2005 1.38pm
Hello,
I have recently noticed some pinkish neon tube lights around the top of a building at the Elephant And Castle. Does anyone know what this is for? It is actually quite nice at night, it makes a change from the usual horizon of grey buildings.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Tuesday 12 April 2005 2.13pm
I think it's the London college of Communication, and the lighting is part of the Elephant Links lighting project- Metro Central Heights ( the huge blue blocks of flats at the roundabout) are also in the process of being lit up around the tops, although the tallest block won't be as the owners of the penthouses in the block didn't give permission to have the equipment up there.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 2.56pm
Thanks Sarahmc, I hope the lighting stays there for a while (I noticed this morning one light was already out...). Anyway, I understand the MCH residents, it can't be very nice to have strong pink lights all over your flat day and night (well depending on your deco taste I guess).
It must be quite strong as it actually shines through my bedroom windows at night and I'm over in St George Road. Let's hope the project includes better lights than the present insignificant bubbles around the roundabouts.
Tuesday 12 April 2005 3.35pm
I understand the MCH ones won't be pink, and also we as residents will be able to choose when they are switched off- probably at around midnight.
SE
Tuesday 12 April 2005 4.36pm
It's all part of a project called Elephant Impacts, which is designed to make cheap but eye-catching displays to make the area look less neglected while we wait for the massive regeneration project to kick in. There have been green downlighters on the building above the shopping centre for several months, as well as lanterns in the trees in the approaches to the roundabouts. Painting the railway bridges is part of the same project.

It's all a very sensible idea, and all credit to the council for doing it. - but I do wish they would keep a better eye on those lanterns. Lightbulbs don't last for ever, but when these ones go, they tend to get left. It's a great shame if a simple, cheap initiative is allowed to unravel because nobody seems to be responsible for changing lightbulbs.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 7.39pm
It's not always a matter of simply changing the bulb as in the lanterns case they're LED's I think, so probably not cost effective to repair once they fail, you'd have to get a whole new lantern. Public lighting is never as simple as it might look due to the scale and technology involved, and it's outdoors of course.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 8.55pm
Problems with the tree lights are down to malfunctioning timers, and apparently these are gradually being sorted out.

This evening the pink lights on the London College of Communication appear to be switched off.
Monday 17 December 2007 11.43pm
Does anyone know whether there is any ongoing funding to maintain the tree lights? Almost all of them now seem to be switched off/not functioning

I walked along St George's Road for the first time in a year late yesterday afternoon, on my way to the poster propaganda exhibition at the IWM. It was a thoroughly depressing walk without the extra light the Elephant Impacts globes used to provide.

[The contrast between the crap ancient sodium lamps in the Southwark bit of Lambeth Road and the dramaticlly brighter lighting on the Lambeth side of the park is also a reproach to LB Southwark - the IWM must surely have reason to complain!]
Tuesday 18 December 2007 8.22am
The downlights on the Shopping Centre have one by one packed up, and the LCC ones were short lived. At MCH there was such a furore about the lights and who would maintain them the project was shelved. I was quite involved in the project to put these lights up about three years ago, but it was very difficult to get the various permits (as usual, too many cooks).As you all know, the Elephant Links as such has been disbanded, the crew dispersed, new managment who know absolutely nothing about the history of the project parachuted in, so anything like the ongoing maintainance of the lighting project has, I'm sure, been put to the bottom of the pile.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 9.43am
Anyone noticed the 'impact' made by the Vegas display opposite my place on Walworth Road? I haven't needed to turn my lights on for three Decembers now...

'We wish you some global warming and a high-sea new year'.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: