Southbeach SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sal
Wednesday 13 April 2005 12.28pm
Just reading the Evening Standard and I came across an article about plans being unveiled to build a paris-style 'plage' in shadow of the wheel. Has anyone seen anything advertised???
Wednesday 13 April 2005 1.07pm
I've also heard about this- i think it was mentioned recently in Metro.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 1.25pm
Ahem ahem - reported here first: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1503

Depends what you mean by advertised though...there's nothing formal yet pending consideration of the application.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 1.42pm
I think its a great idea, but if anyone wants to comment/object, they'd better do so quickly...

Planning Application 05/00691/FUL

Neighbour Consultations sent on: 21/03/05 Expiry Date for Neighbour Consultations: 11/04/05
Standard Consultations sent on: 21/03/05 Expiry Date for Standard Consultations: 11/04/05
Last Advertised on: 25/03/2005 Expiry Date for Latest Advertisement:n/a
Latest Site Notice posted on: 25/03/2005 Expiry Date for Latest Site Notice: 15/04/2005

"Temporary use of Hungerford Coach Park and part of Queens Walk as a beach and outdoor cinema, including cafe and bar, together with associated entertainment facilities: beach volleyball, mobile BBQ'S, mobile library, children's activities, water spray area, mobile masseuses, yoga & community awareness campaigns."

"Erection of 7 metre high temporary cinema screen with associated 4 metre high 'raked' seating arc to form cinema auditorium, 2no. single storey cinema box office structures, single storey cafe building, 2 no single storey site cabins, temporary WC structures. Installation of decking accross site."

The promoters South Bank Beach Limited are a company registered in N12, but ,according to Lambeth's website, the agents for the application are RPS on behalf of South Bank Centre - so is this an SBC initiative after all - I thought they were strongly resisting incorporation of Hungerford Car Park into Jubilee Gardens? Or will the beach be walled off from the Park?
Wednesday 13 April 2005 2.01pm
Rabbie,
I had spotted the seeming inconsistency. There seems to be different interests surrounding Jubilee Gardens. Consultation of locals, tourists and workers revealed a surprising consistency with consultaiton in other parks. Green, cafe, toilets, seating, flowers and childrens play. People seem to just want a park in the area.

SBC seem to want to use the Gardens for classical type events. They are also holding tight to the car park. Shimura (County Hall) apparently own the rights to build a car park under the Gardens, but may be willing to reliquish to enable the Gardens to be spruced up. Residents are worried about large loud and long events, perhaps moved from Bernie Spain Gardens.

It all seems like a massive game of poker, with everyone saying the right things but noone really showing their cards.

So the beach on the car park is odd. A previous proposal for a beach by Tower Bridge met with clear opposition from locals who had already experienced the night long David Blaine crowds. Perhaps SBC think that they will be able to control this one and thereby reduce local opposition to selected events. Or maybe they have simply been offered enough money.

The future of Jubilee Gardens has been in limbo for almost ever. But this promises to add a further ingredient to the mix.

That said I personally like the idea. But then I don't live in County Hall.

Sarah

Wednesday 13 April 2005 2.31pm
They seem to have missed the main point of the Paris Plage, which is that part of the joy comes from the fact that it is in a 'forbidden' space: the riverside embankment, usually just a horrible ratrun of constant traffic during the week becomes a Summery oasis for a solid month, opening up a whole new area for pedestrians, skaters and cyclists, with the added attraction of hundreds of beach loungers, events, performers, refreshments etc. Just making a beach isn't the point, not the whole point at least. Especially if it's just on a car park .... or even Jubilee Gardens...

Now if they closed off the Victoria embankment for August . . . or Whitehall...

And this is what Paris puts in to it (time to practice your French...)

- 3 plages :
- 1 plage en caillebotis de 500 m2
- 1 plage d'herbe de 600 m2
- 1 plage de sable de 700 m2

- 40 plagistes
- 200 transats
- 40 hamacs

- 3 terrains de beach volley
- 4 trampolines
- 1 mur d'escalade

- 1 scène musicale
- 10 concerts
- 2 aires de pique-nique
- 5 cafés buvette

- 3 postes de secours
- 20 secouristes
- 1 commissariat général
- 1 poste de police
- 1 PC sécurité

- 3 espaces sanitaires
- 1 bassin de baignade de 220 m2
- 1 solarium
- 1 pataugeoire

- 2 points d'information

- 31,4% du coût pris en charge par la Ville, 68,6% par les entreprises partenaires

- 2000 tonnes de sable
- 40 palmiers
- 25 charmes

- 3 kilomètres rendus aux promeneurs, cyclistes et rollers

- Des centaines de livres à disposition

- 7 fontaines d'eau potable
- 4 brumisateurs
- 1 labyrinthe d'eau
- 3 rafraîchisseurs (1 sur chaque plage)

- 30 km de câble électrique
- 3 km de canalisations d'eau
- Plus de 150 camions de matériel
- 30 jours et 30 nuits de travail, 24 heures sur 24.
- 6 nuits et 3 jours de montage
- 48 h de démontage
- 300 personnes impliquées sur le projet durant l'année
- 9 mois de travail
- 3 millions de visiteurs

And we get offered a car park. Sigh.

Mark (just reaching out for that Eurostar Direct brochure. Again.)

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 13 April 2005 2.38pm by markandjoan.
Sal
Wednesday 13 April 2005 2.44pm
I don't live in Lambeth so I don't know what goes on down by the river, unless I look at SE1 Direct. Thanks all for your input.
Wednesday 13 April 2005 4.17pm
Story with more details in today's Standard

Plans for beach on the Thames

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: