Simon the Tanner - latest

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Friday 15 April 2005 3.23pm
Some handwritten notes in the window today say that Simon the Tanner is having a facelift and will be opening towards the end of next week ...
Friday 15 April 2005 3.27pm
Oooh goody! Calls for a celebratory drink methinks!

Please keep us up to date Julie.
Friday 15 April 2005 3.32pm
But I thought it was closing, to be turned into gastroflats, with an attached Waitrose.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 15 April 2005 3.44pm
Fantastic news. It's worth going to, it's always been a good little pub. Looking forward to drinking there again.
Friday 15 April 2005 4.41pm
I was told by our managing agents that the redevelopment of the car park next to the Simon had been put back for a year a couple of months ago. I hope that they have not put a holding company in to the Simon to manage it till they get permission to convert it as they are not usually very good!
Friday 15 April 2005 7.47pm
The owner of the freehold of the carpark next to the pub -- also the freeholder of Blue Lion Place -- definitely does NOT own the pub.

The pub is also part of the Bermondsey Conservation area; I think development of it into gastroflats is highly unlikely.

(Also, FYI, as far as I know, a planning application for the proposed development over the car park next to the pub has not yet been made. I would say "it's been put back a year" is probably innacurate hearsay in the sense that the developer COULD conceivably lodge it at any time, but accurate in the sense that it will be quite some time before anything happens, since if it were lodged tomorrow it would then have to go through the process. Rest assured that detailed plans for the development were seen by residents of Blue Lion Place and 237a Long Lane about 18 months ago -- and IMHO the building is HIDEOUS. But the developer -- that is, the freeholder of Blue Lion Place -- does seem to be dragging his heels somewhat.)
Saturday 16 April 2005 11.00am
That is the very first use of "gastroflats" on the entire word wide web. :)
Monday 18 April 2005 7.04am
Yes indeed what does one DO exactly in a gastroflat? Flat out gastronomy?
Monday 18 April 2005 9.27am
paulh Wrote:
> That is the very first use of "gastroflats" on the
> entire word wide web. :)
You'll get used to it, paulh. The SE1 forum sets the trends in so many areas of life ;0)

How long before we see this wonderful new word used in "real" life?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 April 2005 11.37am
i do my best to keep all pubs open. However, I have been neglecting Simon The Tanner. I'll promise to do better in future. Good news it's re-opening. Too many pubs have died in the area.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: