So much for this LibDem council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
MM Saturday 7 September 2002 12.03pm
I have to say I find it truly galling that LibDem Southwark Council have started putting up flytipping signs along the lines of "don't ignore it report it". Well, so much for the LibDem councillor who is head of Environment. He lives on Leroy Street, yet there has been flytipping outside 1 Leroy Street for weeks now, and he hasn't even bothered to do anything about it. There is also a paladin stuck in the middle of the road, next to the recycling bins, and also an old oil cannister, all of which has been sitting there for weeks. If the Environment councillor can't be bothered to report flytipping in his own street, why the hell should we??? Stop lecturing us, Southwark Council, by putting up patronising signs everywhere, and pull your finger out and sort the bloody mess out.

Advertisement

Jason Sunday 8 September 2002 5.24pm
You should complain to the local MP, he might have a word with him
Richard Thomas Monday 9 September 2002 2.47pm
Despite living in Leroy Street, it would be absurd to suggest that I should be the only person able and capable of reporting fly-tipping. For the information of the person who wrote this message - I have reported the flytipping.

The point of the campaign though is this:
to encourage everyone to report these problems so that we can try to sort them out
to crack down on illegal flytipping - both through raising awareness and enforcement action.

It is the council's responsibility to clean the streets and to crack down on anti social environmental crime but it is also the reposnsibility of all of us to report these problems. Its a huge problem but we are beginning to take the action needed to tackle it.

By the way there is an easier way to contact me than through the local MP and that is directly! If anyone has issues about the council failing to respond after a problem has been reported then I would like to know about it.

Richard Thomas
Executive Member for Environment and Transport
Southwark Council
kate nicholls Tuesday 10 September 2002 11.01pm
well said Richard - it's tiresome when people make assumptions, and assume that if you'd reported it, it would have been cleared up just because you're a councillor!

I'm not saying the council does a brilliant job but it can hardly be expected to have flytipping spies on every corner. So I'm glad we've got some signs out - we all need to get reporting. Not always easy when these guys obscure their reg plates, but we should give it a go.

Is there not a bigger problem underlying this though? If tipping sites are not easily accessible and cost the contractors a lot to use, then couldn't this be tackled at source? It may be cheaper to have more sites than to pay for emergency clearance after the event. Of course if so much land wasn't being cleared for property development/speculation then there wouldn't be so much waste, but I digress!

I found out today that gates have been requested for Dickens Square, a favourite tipping spot, but have bee refused by the Council. Wouldn't this have been a cheaper option than regularly clearing the site?

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions