Looking for a carpenter/joiner

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 25 April 2005 12.00pm
Being ignored in Chatter, I'll re-post in SE1...

So what's the difference between a carpenter and a joiner?

Anyway, has anyone used one or the other lately and were they any good - how much do I expect to pay for one and does anyone have a recommend?

The kind of work I want doing is to box-in some pipes in my new kitchen; it will need an eye for detail and a great finish. Then I need a piece of wood inserting into the bottom frame of a sash window, and some other similarly awkward jobs that will require experience, an eye for detail and a high quality finish to make me happy.

So if anyone's found a great wood-worker lately and would like to recommend them to me, please let me know - can IM if you don't want to spread the word too widely.

Thanks!
Stiofan.
Monday 25 April 2005 12.33pm
JonR. PM him direct. He's a real craftsman.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 April 2005 12.42pm
Stíofán,

I'm not sure about how much you would be willing to pay for a true mastercraftsman finish, but if you search the forums you will see a couple of threads about Hugh Wedderburn on Bermondsey Street.

I'm not sure if your job would be the type of commission he would take on, but the website is work a look anyway and you can't get much more local or more of a top quality reputation.

I have no connection, etc.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/25445
Monday 25 April 2005 12.43pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JonR. PM him direct. He's a real craftsman.
>
I hope you'll help JonR will the delivery of the wood he'll need

... if you beep louder next time, we'll come

Monday 25 April 2005 1.20pm
I only do full pallets on the scooter nowadays Julie. Not worth my while messing around for anything less. I leave that to the little operators.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 April 2005 4.57pm
Thanks Siduhe - had a look over the site and bearing in mind the work I'd like doing, it would be like asking asking Michaelangelo to gloss my skirting boards....

Some of the pieces, the tables in particular, are spectacular and I imagine a fair old price too (though prob. worth every penny), I couldn't ask someone as skilled as that to work a bit of MDF around my boiler pipes!!

Thanks also to Ivanhoe's line in Red Herrings, I kicked myself.

Anyone else any suggestions?
Monday 25 April 2005 5.37pm
The difference seems to be related to the scale of the work and level of finish, and as far as I can make out carpenters undertake the larger scale, structural woodwork, whereas joinery is regarded as more of a 'craft' - the making of furniture etc.

Meanwhile, I've located the number of a 'wood worker' I used last year and have passed it on in a p.m!
Tuesday 26 April 2005 6.23am
Siduhe, would your Hugh Wedderburn do some restoration on antique furniture - replacing beading ripped off by careless removal men, etc -?
Tuesday 26 April 2005 8.30am
jackie, he always seems to be working on quite large, intricately carved pieces. I'm working from home a lot at the moment and can 'pop' over the road and ask on your behalf.
Tuesday 28 February 2006 6.38pm
Hi! could anyone suggest me a carpenter/joiner in the area? I need to have a folding table repaired as soon as possible

Thanks a lot
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: