Wanted - SE1 webdesigner for SE1 project

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 26 April 2005 10.13am
All

I'm attempting to build a website to illustrate Bermondsey's history. I'm completely new to web design and realise that I need help. I use a Mac/OSX with Rapid Weaver and Freeway Express.

Would anyone be willing to give me some tutoring in return for photography tutoring?

Thanks in advance

Niall

PS James - I hope this passes the 'SE1 relevance' test.
Tuesday 26 April 2005 10.38pm
Might be able to help my email is michael@snowsfields.com
Thursday 5 May 2005 4.19pm
You could try and contact INTO. They are based at SE1 - Trinity Street and they offer free training and websites as part of the www.into.org.uk site. Contact Sheila or Shveta on 020 7378 5440 . They have helped me in the past and were really helpful
Tuesday 10 May 2005 2.10pm
Niall, you have a good head start as a web designer because (a) you already have the visual skills of a photographer, and (b) you seem to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve.

Your choice of development computer is excellent, but bear in mind that you will probably want to host your web site at an ISP on a different hardware platform running a different OS, and you need to be aware that things will appear formatted somewhat differently for users with Windows IE browsers than for Mac users. Basically, you need a chum with a Windows PC to verify that the site looks as good from his browser.

I am not a fan of the development software you propose to use and suggest that you look at Macromedia Dreamweaver MX2004, about 350, or about 100 for the student edition. You will need a copy of Photoshop Elements (free with your scanner). You should also think hard about whether you are going to have such a substantial photographic archive that it would be worth investigating an image database -- that would affect the choice of ISP and development software.

Buy a little guide book on HTML and learn just enough about it to debug things when Dreamweaver is being moody. The "dummies' guides" are probably too basic for you, but you probably don't need the 500-page "reference manual" just yet. The W3C consortium hosts the only manual worth reading. I wish Microsoft would read it.

As far as web design is concerned, keep it simple. And the simplify it some more. Avoid frames and large complex ActiveX, Java, Flash or other "multimedia" content unless you really, really need them.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the true value of your web site is its CONTENT. Nothing else will keep bringing visitors back to your website. Your website can look as ugly as sin and still get thousands of hits, see http://www.norbry.net if you dont believe me.

One more thing: invite collaboration. Once you have set the rules for your website aims and policies, let other people contribute towards the freshness, completeness and accuracy of your resource. I've got a pocket file of old news clippings and stuff about the area and I'm sure lots of other LondonSE1-ers do too.

Tuesday 10 May 2005 3.01pm
Zoodle

Thanks for that. I accept the point about Dreamweaver and don't deny its the marketleader but I'd love to avoid having to learn another piece of software, hence my cry for help. SE1ers have been very generous thus far and I hope that something will appear in the virtual world near you soonish.

Regards and thanks

Niall
Tuesday 10 May 2005 4.56pm
Following on from Martin's post above, 'into' can offer organisations, community groups or anyone running a local project a free subsite. You don't need any HTML or design software knowledge - you just log into the website to update your subsite (design, images, text, etc) as often as you like.

'into' can also provide free support and training in how to use subsites if you need help or advice.

As an example, you can see Mental Fight Club's subsite at www.into.org.uk/MentalFightClub, and browse through others at www.into.org.uk

Niall, please do feel free to contact me or my colleague Shveta if you think this may be what you're looking for - tel 020 7378 5440, email info@into.org.uk or drop in to see us at 'into', 5-13 Trinity Street, London SE1 1DB.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: