Palestra: opposite Southwark station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 3 May 2005 11.54am
on blackfriars road/ corner union street, can't think what it is called now...senior moment....the bit that faces blackfriars road looks hideous, it juts out like a lego brick.....

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 4 November 2005 12.24am by James Hatts.
Wednesday 4 May 2005 4.40pm
Palestra!

http://www.palestra-london.com/

I'm almost nostalgic for when I used to visit the India Office library in the old Orbit House on the site.

I still don't understand the new name!

"A public place in ancient Greece for training and practice in wrestling and other athletics. "
Middle English palestre, from Old French, from Latin palaestra, from Greek palaistra, from palaiein, to wrestle."

Is this some over-complicated reference to the nearby former "Ring"???

Wednesday 4 May 2005 5.25pm
And as if by magic, we are now in the right forum - thanks James!
Thursday 5 May 2005 8.42am
It's PaleStar to us dylsexics, and always will be.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 5 May 2005 10.47am
I must be a non visual cretin, it's bleeding ugly..top 'eavy even..
Wednesday 20 July 2005 10.47pm
I read in today's Evening Standard property section, that the London Development Agengy, that oversees regeneration in the capital was rumoured to move to Palestra... (two page feature, titled "Southwark sharpens up", loads of property around here, including Tabard Square)

We had a little conversation about this monster in the Nelson Square thread:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/22783

Also an older thread:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/2613

Only saw Lang Rabbie's comment about the Ring now, I thought the site of the old Surrey Chapel, later known as the Ring was directly under this new building? So that must be the reference...
Thursday 21 July 2005 7.09am
More scandalous in the Evening Standard yesterday was the story of the horrible St.George and the Vauxhall Tower. They are due to start building their tower on our parking lot in Metro Central opposite the Coronet...watch out for how awful our lives are going to be for two years - and we want to know what St.George said/offered to the Mayor to get THAT passed. But the Vauxhall Tower is absolutely outrageous. I called the ES and told them they should do some in depth investigation of how St.George manage to get any and every application passed by hook or by crook.
Wednesday 2 November 2005 12.09pm
I was told that the new mayors building is now full to capacity and will be moving to Palestra... is this right?
Wednesday 2 November 2005 12.19pm
Not quite. It was reported in the Estates Gazette back in September that the London Development Agency (currently at St Katharine's Dock) and some of the Mayor's other agencies were looking at taking space at Palestra to use it as an annexe to City Hall.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 4 November 2005 12.08am
Building opposite Southwark Tub station

I separate what I would like as a graphic design from what I think works in the urban environment.
If it was a graphic design I would like it.
But the bulbous top heavy shape and shear size of this building .creates an effect of overpowering banality

I like modern art,but I don't agree with treating the urban environment like an oversized exhibit in the turner prize.

Basically it doesn't work.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: