Play Theme

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 8 May 2005 5.27pm
Lambeth are about to contract a designer to design a new playground for Archbishops Park. This does not mean that we lose the existing equipment, but, in line with the management plan, we gain some provision for 5-13 year olds.

The designer is interested in having a local theme for the playground. Something like the river, the South Bank, or even Lambeth Potteries, Church history or whatever. (The Bedlam Asylum?)

Does anyone have some good ideas and how they might be reflected in the play equipment. (We already have a boat - but are about to lose the train because of health and safety.)

All ideas welcome, though I need them soon.

Also do come along to the South Bank Forum on Thursday 19 May from 1900 in the Council Chamber at County Hall. The room itself is worth a visit. Plus you will get a joint presentation with SBEG, SAZ, Lambeth and ourselves on the Park's Management Plan. This is a really good opportunity to press for SRB (WCRT) or Lambeth investment in the park. The Friends group can only do so much if we don't get good support on occassions like this. (And a drink later?)

It is likely that our group will need to raise the funding for the play equipment. Most likely a number of applications each contributing a piece of equipment. In the past a number of people on this forum have offer help or knowledge. I would love to hear from you again. Once we have a design and costing from Lambeth we should be ready to roll.

Also David Bellamy is due to plant a bush in the park on Wednesday 18 May at about 5.30. This is part of the launch of an Octavia Foundation, to commemorate the role Octavia Hill had in founding the park, and her wider work in Lambeth and elsewhere. A fair number of the great and good should be coming along, but all welcome. (James if you don't hear about it from Lambeth, let me know and I will provide details.) Perhaps we should suggest a cider tree.

Monday 9 May 2005 9.58am
Definitely a cider tree, and an apple-themed playground to go with it. A giant apple-playhouse (like James and the Giant Peach, but with addded zider references) with worm-slides.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 9 May 2005 4.19pm
They should have a jungle theme, large ,large lions...if i remember rightly in the river the rungs that tied the boats up had lovely lion heads on? or is that something else that disappeared years ago....or how about a street market theme, Lambeth Walk etc.,?

( hope your well Sarah 2....)
Tuesday 10 May 2005 8.30am
Jan,
We already have wooden animals. Most are old, but the elephant is new. One of the really helpful Lambeth officers (things are 100 times better than they were even three years ago) mentioned that he had some spare animals and would I like one for the park. He let me chose, which is why we have an elephant. I feel quite propriatorial.

Ivanhoe,
David Bellamy will be planting some new 'Octavia Hill' roses. Not cider trees. But there is a trend to plant fruit trees in London's green spaces, presumably because otherwise kids might assume that apples come from Tesco's. It might be something for the future. Particularly if we could link it to grafting and environmental sustainability.

Sarah

Thursday 12 May 2005 11.40am
I'd have thought something to do with boats and barges, given that Lambeth village was where a lot of the bargemen used to live.

Taking the thread even further off at a tangent - Drax Power Station has the advantage of being really great architecture! See for example Hugh Pearman's article of a few years ago:

Mad Max architecture: the 4,000-megawatt drama of Drax is a monument of our time

Thursday 12 May 2005 12.50pm
Barges would be great.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: