Supermarkets near Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 13 September 2002 2.51pm
Why are there no decent supermarkets near Waterloo?
(unless I'm missing something obvious!)
Friday 13 September 2002 3.12pm
I don't know, but you are correct. I found myself either walking down to the very shabby Tesco at Elephant, or walking across the bridge to the more salubrious Covent Garden branch. There are the usual handy Costcutter places, but you pay for their convenience, and there is Iceland on Lower Marsh.
Friday 13 September 2002 5.55pm
wots wrong with borough market
VM
Saturday 14 September 2002 1.04pm
There's nothing wrong with Borough Market, but do you have a stall there or something? How much is a box of washing powder or a load of loo roll there? Which area/planet do you actually live in, where you can exist entirely on organic food products and unusual meats?

There are no supermarkets in Waterloo (yet), though the local shops and market are cheap and cheerful. No butcher close by - have to go towards Borough for nearest. Can easily get a bus to Surrey Quays or Old Kent Road Tescos or Vauxhall Sainsburys.
Monday 16 September 2002 8.34am
Borough Market is indeed brilliant, but I find the selection a little limited on a weekday evening at 7:30pm.

Iceland on Lower Marsh has recently changed closing time to 6pm, again making buying food on a weekday a hassel, leaving the Kennington Tesco as the best alternative.

The potential for a Sainsbury Local or Tesco Metro must be immense in or near a station like Waterloo. I can only assume our planning department friends must have something to do with it.......
VM
Friday 20 September 2002 10.25pm
I did hear there are plans for a Tesco Metro opposite Southwark station, and a Sainsbury's Local at London Bridge when these two areas are developed. I could be way out of date though.
Saturday 21 September 2002 1.12pm
I think the latest plans for Palestra (opp Southwark Station) only provide for a coffee shop sized retail unit.

We should be getting a Sainsbury's Central store in Stamford Street, though...
Monday 23 September 2002 1.51pm
Try Waitrose Home Deliver .. it's seriously brilliant, and as someone trying to abandon their car it's great for the supersize packs of loo roll and the 5 litre pack of Persil.
Wednesday 25 September 2002 12.19pm
Big railway stations on the Continent generally include a supermarket as a matter of course.

Why not here?

Euston station has one but I can't think of any others.
Wednesday 25 September 2002 1.48pm
There's a Sainsbury's Local at Paddington Station
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: