Moving to Southwark Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 12 May 2005 3.50pm
Hi there I have just bought a flat on Southwark Street pretty much opposite the new Bankside 123 development - I am completely new to the area - I know this is a very broad question but is there anything I should be careful of/avoid/do etc as a female living on her own around here?
Thursday 12 May 2005 5.29pm
Hi Velma and welcome !

If you use the search function, there are lots of previous threads where people have put down their experiences of living in and around SE1 - not necessarily specific to Southwark Street, but there's a good collection here, which may help:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/32080
and you might want to see these in addition:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/22136
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/975

Personally, I think SE1 is better than many places in London, providing you take a few sensible precautions you are unlikely to have serious trouble. I certainly find it a safer place to live than Chelsea (where I often felt you could be lying bleeding in a gutter and people would just step over you!).
Thursday 12 May 2005 6.22pm
Avoid falling in with the SE1 cider crowd.
Thursday 12 May 2005 6.38pm
Welcome Velma. Avoid falling over with the SE1 cider crowd.
Thursday 12 May 2005 6.46pm
Welcome Velma. I strongly advice you to fall over with the SE1 cider crowd.
Thursday 12 May 2005 6.49pm
Dangerous given that in SE1 people are unlikely to step over you as you lie in the gutter.

(No offence meant and welcome.)
Thursday 12 May 2005 10.37pm
More likely to trip over you as you lie in the gutter...

Welcome, Velma. Have fun browsing the boards - you'll learn loads about the area here.
Friday 13 May 2005 6.34am
Pay no attention to these inebriates..they are all being facetious, we are lovely, friendly, pursuers of literary excellence and high art, and you will find a no more congenial bunch. SE1 is actually rather safe and far less crime ridden than where we lived before (Camberwell), it's well lit and rather busy at all times of day and night. However, do not parade in the altogether down Southwark St. at night or you may find yourself getting funny looks. Go through all the threads on this site and you will be so old by that time you'll have stopped worrying.
Friday 13 May 2005 6.36am
Furthermore Velma,. why are you up so early?
Friday 13 May 2005 6.52am
She's had to take a cleaning job as well as her normal one to pay for her council tax? :-)

Velma, for a central london location by and large it's safe, just be sensible, hide your rolex, daimonds while standing at a cashpoint!

p.s. I have lived here all my life more or less, I have never been mugged ( some idiot tried once under the subway...he failed!)

theres so much to do in this part of the world, you cant go wrong living here.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: