Walnut Tree Walk School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 14 May 2005 2.53am
Does anyone know when the Walnut Tree Walk Primary School was opened? Or anything about Mrs Martin's School in Lambeth?
Tuesday 17 May 2005 8.34am
Hi Margaret

I think the person you need to contact is probably Mrs Marjorie Porter who has written her autobiography about her life in education in Lambeth. She is in her 90s and until recently was Chair of Governors at Walnut Tree Walk School. Here's info about the launch on Saturday, 11th June.

BOOK LAUNCH

I WAS DIFFERENT

The eagerly-awaited autobiography of Marjorie Porter, MBE,
will be published at a book launch to be held at the

Durning Library, Kennington Lane,

on Saturday 11th June, 2005 at 5 p.m.

Copies of the book will be on sale at £9.95 and Marjorie will be happy to sign copies.

All are welcome

I Was Different is an absorbing account of Marjorie Porter's long and full life in and around the Borough of Lambeth. Born in 1907, Marjorie has devoted her life to education. After Bonneville and Mary Datchelor Schools, Marjorie Birch taught at Lyndhurst Grove and Crawford Schools. As Mrs Gaskin, she taught at Gloucester Grove and was Head Teacher at Ashmole and Johanna Schools. Marjorie is justly famous for her promotion of music in schools; even in ‘retirement' she taught music in local schools, voluntarily, for over thirty years and, in her 98th year, still teaches piano.

On retirement Marjorie became active in local politics (her second husband, Alderman Bill Porter, was Mayor of Lambeth) and in community and voluntary activities in the district. The Triangle Adventure Playground, Museum of Garden History, Lambeth Co-operative Community Council, Co-operative Friends of Jamaica, The Globe Theatre, Roots and Shoots, and the Friends of Durning Library are just some of the many causes which have been helped by Marjorie's idealism and energy. Retaining her interest in education Marjorie Porter became a school governor and Chair of Governors at Walnut Tree Walk and Ethelred Schools, posts only recently relinquished.

For her services to Lambeth, Marjorie Porter was honoured by the Council in 1999, and again in 2002. In recognition of her ‘services to children and the local community', she was awarded the M.B.E. in 1999.

As well as being a fascinating and informative history of education from before the 1914-18 war, Marjorie's story is also a social history of twentieth century, of personal and political struggles, of a disadvantaged yet determined woman seeking a better world. And fighting still, as her last chapter on how to improve our education system testifies!

This story will be of immense interest, not only to Lambethans, but to anyone who seeks a better world.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 12.47am
Dear Cathy,
Thanks for that info - a great suggestion. I will try to contact Marjorie Porter through the Durnington Library.
Cheers
Wednesday 21 February 2007 9.05pm
I would like a copy of Marjorie Porter's autobiography "I was different". Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy. I cannot find it listed on any booksellers' or publishers' lists.

Tony Swetman
Thursday 22 February 2007 8.46am
There is a chap called Peter Marcan based in Bermondsey who publishes an unusual book list focused on London life.

He might be able to find it for you.

I can't find his phone number, but his address is PO Box 3158, London SE1 4RA.

Regards,

Joss

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: