Why do buses ignore pedestrian crossings?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 18 May 2005 12.32pm
Why are bus drivers so ignorant?
yesterday I was on the zebra crossing on London Bridge Station and a bendy bus went straight across the crossing in front of me forcing me to jump back. The driver had seen me and had eye contact as he drove through. I complained to the bus supervisor but he was dealing with a crash between another bendy bus and a taxi on the station forecourt (surprise surprise bet the bus was at fault)

This morning I wanted to cross Tower Bridge Road - the green man being lit - but my red tarmac path was blocked by a big red bus, the yellow sign was being ignored, on the same walk to work I was crossing Tooley Street by More London - the green man being lit and there being no cyclists in view to intimidate me - when what should drive across and stop straddling the crossing - you guessed another bus.

Is it me or are bus drivers just totally selfish ignorant beings?

I have lodged my complaint (along with bus times and numbers) with Mr Livingstone
Wednesday 18 May 2005 2.11pm
How do you log complaints, please?

I generally have sympathy for bus drivers. I reckon it's not easy to cope with the other traffic, narrow lanes/roads, pedestrians, cyclists, etc, and that taking all things into account bus drivers are usually pretty decent (or, perhaps more accurately, there are at least as many good ones as bad ones).

IMHO the bendy bus thing is different. From what I see, most bendy drivers can't control their bus very well at all and have to straddle two lanes even when going straight ahead (let alone the distinctly odd way they indicate and move when turning). Compared to drivers of, say, big lorries, they appear to be a lot less skilled and I wonder whether they have a suitable amount of training before being sent off on a bendy bus in London.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 2.15pm
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/contact_home.shtml would be a good place to start.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 4.03pm
Thanks James

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 4.34pm
I'm sure the rule for drivers is you should approach a zebra crossing at a speed which would
allow you to stop if someone steps out. Pedestrians with a foot on the crossing have right of way.
It's amazing that there aren't pedestrians knocked down daily crossing the one on
Long Lane by carpet factory.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 6.00pm
I'd like to know why bus drivers seem to be increasingly ignoring potential passengers at bus stops. I've seen it happen to others and it keeps happening to me. I'm getting really paranoid. One time a second bus driver saw it happen, stopped, told me to get on, wouldn't let me pay, got in front of the first bus at the next stop and blocked him in while I walked round and the driver grudgingly opened the door. That was fun, but I'd rather just get on the right bus first time.

Maybe I'll get the reg next time....
Wednesday 18 May 2005 8.08pm
It's always tempting to catch up with the bus at traffic lights and then just press the emergency door open button!
Wednesday 18 May 2005 9.00pm

I've done that when a 344 driver ignored a temporary bus stop - third time in 3 days.

He denied he was supposed to stop there, until I told him I had spoken to his controller the previous day to confirm that he had to stop there, it was in his briefing, and that they were told over the radio that they had to regularly during their shift.

That shut him up - the muppet!

Regards,

Loafer
Thursday 19 May 2005 10.15am
Bus drivers lost my sympathy a few years back when I was walking along Oxford Street at lunch time. It was a busy sunny day, and the pavement was packed with people. I was walking close to the edge of the pavement, and noticed two girls chatting in front of me, one on the pavement and one on the road (but not far from the pavement). Because I was in a hurry and wanted to see if I could catch a bus, I kept looking back to see if there was one coming. Then I saw a bus coming (not one of those Routemasters, but the newer kind), and when it passed me I thought two things: the girl should perhaps get onto the pavement and the bus driver appeared to have sped up when he passed me. The next thing I saw was the girl being hit and flew across her friend, landing unconscious on the pavement. It happened so quickly that her friend on the pavement didn't realise where she had disappeared to. The bus driver stopped, and showed no shock or remorse, as if hitting the girl was the most obvious thing to do in that situation.
Thursday 19 May 2005 10.43am
Most bus drivers (and indeed motorists / cyclists / pedestrians) are perfectly reasonable people of course.

But speaking as someone who has been knocked down on a zebra crossing in the past (by a car - no permanent brain damage but I still have some scars!) I do keep a particular eye on which zebra crossings I should be slightly more wary on from now.

I think the ones at St Greorge's Circus can be quite bad with sometimes drivers going right through in front of me in the other lane even if I am already some way across the junction. (Sometimes they don't appear to notice that there is a zebra crossing there.)

The ones in London Bridge station - are they yelow and black if I remember right? I always wonder about yellow and black zebra crossings - wondering whether they are "real" zebra crossings or whether any special rules apply to them! If the London Bridge zebra crossings are problematical then it would stand to reason that bus drivers will be offending more often as they are almost the only traffic in the area.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: