Thames fireworks c.10.15pm last night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 1.32pm
Was sitting quietly watching some recorded rubbish on Sky+ last night (fantastic machine) and was disturbed from my semi-slumber by possibly the loudest firework display I can recall. Seemed to be coming from close to the Design Museum.

Set off a couple of car alarms, and sent my cats skittering under the bed.

Anyone know what this was for?

Robert
Wednesday 18 May 2005 1.50pm
The Port of London river diary just lists 'private fireworks' in the Upper Pool:
http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm?id=35&site=leisure

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 May 2005 2.42pm
At the end of the display there was a static display in fireworks of the text " Deutschland".
This morning I could see that the name of the cruise liner moored outside the Design Museum is "Deutschland" so putting two and two together I reckon they paid for the fireworks last night!
Wednesday 18 May 2005 2.53pm
we saw them from our living room window - fairly spectacular they were too!
Wednesday 18 May 2005 4.18pm
they woke the little one up so i was not at all pleased!!!!
Thursday 19 May 2005 12.12pm
to whom does one apply for a licence - anyone know?
Monday 28 November 2005 3.39pm
Very loud fireworks are now illegal. I wonder how loud these were? Without evidence of this though, you can't complain. We'll all have to go around with videocameras and tape recorders. A couple of years ago, a fireworks display in our local park a quarter of a mile away cracked one of our windows and actually vibrated the house -- and our house is a solid Victorian. Couldn't do anything though. (There are stables right next to the park -- not much fun for the horses, the birds on the pond, not to mention dogs.)
Monday 28 November 2005 4.18pm
Easyrecall - you want the Fireworks Regulations 2004 - try here. The answer appears to be the London Borough of Southwark for SE1.

There is an exception for "permitted" (i.e. licenced) fireworks displays outside Bonfire Night and other holidays.

Fireworks over 120 decibels are now prohibited - about the same level of noise as a fighter jet taking off or a rock concert. I would bet good money that all of the fireworks supplied for these professional displays are just under the 120 decibel mark.

Edited for syntax (as usual !)

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 28 November 2005 4.27pm by Siduhe.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network