Laughing Gravy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
mac
Friday 20 May 2005 12.24pm
Hi
We went to the Laughing Gravy on Blackfriars Road last night and I wouldn't recommend it. Both our meals looked withered and distinctly aged - my boyfriend's vegetables were definately re-heated and my fish - which they claimed was cod - was more like a compressed minced coley slab (I don't mind not eating cod, given that it's becoming extinct, but I would like to be told what I am eating) which I think had been cooked more than once. In fact, I was ill when I got home. I went there once last year and was overcome by cooking fumes from the kitchen and was told it was a temporary fault with the extractor fan but last night it was as pongy as ever. The fumes were so strong that my eyes were stinging by the end of the night. If any of you do go there, I would warn you that you will have to factor in a dry cleaning bill to the cost - my coat stinks of oily cooking smells today. It will have to be cleaned...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20 May 2005 12.26pm by mac.
Friday 20 May 2005 12.31pm
I love the Laughing Gravy - my favourite resaurant in the area - only ever had lovely meals there and I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

(Am totally unconnected to above-mentioned restaurant)
mac
Friday 20 May 2005 12.37pm
But what about the smell...?
Friday 20 May 2005 1.09pm
This is interesting - LG is one of our local eateries but I feel very ambivalent towards it so sympathy with both opinions. When we have frequented it, I usually feel nervous about what the experience is going to be like as we've had good and bad, but persevere as it's close and the proprietor chap is usually v.pleasant. Would welcome other anecdotal evidence.
Friday 20 May 2005 1.37pm
I've not eaten in the restaurant, but I've seen the film and it's very funny.
Friday 20 May 2005 2.36pm
The Professor went to lunch there with another professor chum and they thought it great.
Friday 20 May 2005 2.40pm
mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But what about the smell...?

I can't say I've ever noticed any bad smells there - certainly none that made my eyes sting.

I'm motivated to go back soon now to see if it is how I remember it!

Friday 20 May 2005 8.52pm
I only have good things to say about Laughing Gravy. The first time I went was shortly after it opened, and the fire alarm went off (the alarm was triggered somewhere else in the building but the restaurant has to be on the same system). They quickly set up a table for us outside and moved our food out (it was summer). The chef came and joined us, and was good company. I think they even knocked some money off the bill, or gave us deserts for free or something. I always find the food good and wine fine.
Monday 23 May 2005 10.42am
I went just the once about 18 months ago and haven't been back as the food was poor. My girlfriend had venison but it was really tough. We mentioned it to the waitress and she admitted the chef was away, so I don't know who cooked the food.... On reflection we thought that the cut wasn't the best either, so poor cut badly cooked.
Tuesday 31 May 2005 10.19am
When I lived in Waterloo it was my favourite - despite the time when we were sitting next to the counter and, having ordered our vegetarian options, overheard the chef come up and have a rant aboout f***ing vegetarians. Being English, we said nothing of course ...

We go back every few months and it has always been fine, but all places can go through bad phases.

Perhaps they need Gordon Ramsay to pop in? (I have a new favourite TV prog now the Apprentice has finished)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: