Bars and Restaurants in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 25 May 2005 10.32pm
Hi,
Just a quick post to see what thoughts everyone here had on bars and restaurants in the area.
We are a small independent company looking to open our first
place in the Southwark area close to London Bridge, and since we started looking for a property last year have found it extremely
difficult to find somewhere that suits our needs.
Last month we came across a great site near to London Bridge station. However, the company that owns it is a large commercial developer and have told us that they are only looking to deal with large chains like Wetherspoons / All Bar One or alternatively William Hill bookmakers, which is obviously frustrating as it's difficult to compete with their size / power.
We're a bit frustrated and stuck about what to do so thought we'd post on here. Any comments / advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phil & Jonathan
Thursday 26 May 2005 6.53am
Tower bridge road can only get better. IMO it already has a great little vibe and the tentacles of affluence are for-ever creeping south from nearby Bermondsey st

You've got a bog-standard 'Indian', two chinese restaurants, a foody pub in The Hartley, two 'characterful' locals' pubs in the George and the Marigold. Round the corner is Simon the Tanner, which forever seems to be in a state of flux.

Have a look, good luck.
Thursday 26 May 2005 7.05am
There are also a number of currently empty ground floor office units on Bermondsey St. It might be worth speaking to the owners to see if a change of use would be considered. Try the developers, Acorn Homes or Galliard.

Regards and best wishes

Niall

PS How about opening a deli or minimarket?
Thursday 26 May 2005 7.21am
Thursday 26 May 2005 8.37am
It's little people like you who are driving Waitrose away.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 May 2005 9.03am
It'd be lovely if you'd come a teeny bit closer to us, in the Elephant & Castle. We have some fairly OK takeaway joints, but not much in the slightly more cosy and personal line. We have, alas, a Wetherspooons downstairs in our building, and Nando's as well....neither of them good for an intimate night out!
Thursday 26 May 2005 9.04am
What about nearer Elephant!
There is such a lack of good bars/pubs round there. My local is Chavspoons which has no atmosphere whatsoever, and apart from that, we have to get the bus up to Borough High St or Bermondsey St for the Garrison.
Thursday 26 May 2005 10.28am
I think that Tower Bridge Road indeed has most potential because it would follow a trend (Hartley, Tandoori and SoBo) whereas I understood that rents are still affordable. I agree with Harry Yanos that TBR is already feeling the spin off of Bermondsey Street, the latter being more expensive. There are several venues for hire or sale on Tower Bridge Road.
Thursday 26 May 2005 10.30am
Be really adventurous and lease the space in the middle of Bricklayers Arms. You'd get trade from both OKR and TBR, and it would be such an interesting thing to do that it'd get loads of free publicity. At the moment it's an enormous space that's just wasted.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 May 2005 11.11am
How about on Great Dover Street? I noticed a few To Let signs on the new Bellway development and you would probably get a lot of passing trade. There's also a To Let sign on a unit on Borough High Street opposite Belushi's.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: