Parking regulations and Quality Control

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 May 2005 11.45am
All

On a very small sample of parking penalties applied in the Bermondsey St area, the circumstances of the penalties does not always seem to conform to the regulations covering the specific location. This suggests an 'over zealous' approach on the part of the wardens.

Can anyone tell me who regulates the wardens and checks that they function in accordance with regulations rather than in accordance with any quota system?

Regards.

Niall Connolly
Thursday 26 May 2005 12.03pm
Individual councils retain responsibilty for parking controls in their borough - although many of them contract out parking services to private third party companies, it is the council that ultimately remains responsible. In that sense, Southwark Council is responsible for regulating its own wardens.

However, I think you are asking who actually regulates Southwark Council in carrying out their parking regulation services ?

Well, you can appeal on individual matters to the Parking Adjudicator at The Parking and Traffic Appeals Service. http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/

There isn't an overall government regulator for parking services (like you have Ofcom for telecommunications or the ORR for rail services). However, the London boroughs are required to "work in partnership" with the Mayor of London to deliver the aspects of transport strategy relevant to their responsibilities, so I guess the Mayor and the London Assembly have a kind of overall review function. Not sure how much luck you would have getting them to exercise it though !

Edited to say: I almost forgot the Local Government Ombudsman - who regulates a lot of the things that Local Councils do - his focus is more on maladminstration than policy though and you have to have been caused "a real or substantial injustice" by the council before he will investigate - details will be on Southwark's website somewhere...

See http://www.lgo.org.uk/pdf/parking-enforcement.pdf

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 26 May 2005 12.08pm by Siduhe.
Thursday 26 May 2005 4.53pm
I think Southwark may shortly be following Lambeth in issuing all wardens with mini digital cameras to record the actual infringement.

Although the main argument for introducing this is that this will reduce the number of appeals, I suspect it will have the spin-off of reducing the opportunities for any wardens to claim bogus infringements.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: