Rubbish

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 June 2005 8.51am
Has anyone else noticed (or is it just me getting old and grumpy) how sporadic the street cleaning is within SE1?

There seem to be roads that don't get cleaned for weeks. Last Saturday I picked up over 50 pieces of rubbish from my street as it was starting to look so bad. The Southwark Council web site seems to suggest that any street in Southwark should get cleaned a minimum of twice per week. This certainly isn't happening in my area - The roads off Southwark Park Road: Alma Grove, Fort Road, Balaclava Road etc.

I've written to the street cleaning department today telling them about this so hopefully things will improve.

On a more preventative note, does anyone know if we can lobby the council to install some rubbish bins, as there are none in my road?

Thanks.
Jac
Thursday 2 June 2005 9.39am
I have lived in SE1 for 15 years and I have to say that street cleaning now is far better than it has been in the past. I used to be ashamed of the amount of litter in the roads all over the area. If you do not have any joy from your letter contact your councillor. I had to do this a year or so ago not so much because of rubbish in the street but because of the amount of dirt and grit from the building works in my road. He arranged for the pavements to be swepet more frequently whilst required.

I have also contacted Southwark on a couple of occassions to request bins and have been sucessful with bins installed within a couple of weeks. For some reason these and others that have been but in that I haven't requested have always gone missing even if they started off strapped to lamp posts. Maybe you will be able to keep yours for longer. I wonder where these errant bins go.
Thursday 2 June 2005 5.14pm
There are two ways to tackle this.

1. Call the Southwark environment hotline and report lack of street cleaning, they usually do something about it pretty damn quick. 7525 2000

2. To make a longer-lasting difference, become a Streetleader. In my experience it's a brilliant scheme. You become a sort of licensed busybody, and you have a hotline to the environment dept to report rubbish, cleaning, dumping etc. And they really do work. Contact dave.taylor@southwark.gov.uk.

And I agree with Jac that the streetcleaning is better than it has been in years! But they do need reminding... and reminding... and reminding...
Friday 3 June 2005 7.22am
I will not add my own ongoing nightmare with the enviromental department at southwark as it has been ongoing for some two years, as perhaps it's specific and relates more to do with their office cleaners at one of their offices. - (that is finally improving)

However, the "street sweeping" has improved over the last couple of years. The nightmare that occurs on the weekend as a result of that blasted (sure haunt for drug dealing - why don't they raid that place and close it down) ministry of sound flyers is now more regularly cleaned around 7.30am on my street so I no longer have to bear the disgraceful sight. The early morning sweep also now removes the broken glass from the overnight car break ins that continue to plague my street. Again it's more pleasant and not so embarrasing for any guests who used to wake to find evidence on my street of about 4 or 5 car break ins.
But I like yourself do not have designated bins and have to place my black bin liners every monday morning onto the street, as do the other householders (the whole house has to keep their bags for another week until next Monday!..can you believe that). I asked if they can collect at least twice a week or thrice and am currently awaiting a response.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 3 June 2005 7.24am by local.
Friday 3 June 2005 7.22am
I will not add my own ongoing nightmare with the enviromental department at southwark as it has been ongoing for some two years, as perhaps it's specific and relates more to do with their office cleaners at one of their offices. - (that is finally improving)

However, the "street sweeping" has improved over the last couple of years. The nightmare that occurs on the weekend as a result of that blasted (sure haunt for drug dealing - why don't they raid that place and close it down) ministry of sound flyers is now more regularly cleaned around 7.30am on my street so I no longer have to bear the disgraceful sight. The early morning sweep also now removes the broken glass from the overnight car break ins that continue to plague my street. Again it's more pleasant and not so embarrasing for any guests who used to wake to find evidence on my street of about 4 or 5 car break ins. But I like yourself do not have designated bins and have to place my black bin liners every monday morning onto the street, as do the other householders (the whole house has to keep their bags for another week until next Monday!..can you believe that). I asked if they can collect at least twice a week or thrice and am currently awaiting a response.
Monday 6 June 2005 1.46pm
I wonder why the council don't co-ordinate the street sweepers with the rubbish collection?

I saw the ridiculous sight of a sweeper vigourously cleaning our street just minutes before the bin men turned up and scattered rubbish everywhere!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: