Jam Factory area: safety?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 June 2005 10.00pm
Hi, just wondering for people who live in/around the Jam Factory complex, if it is recommended to take a flat there. The flats look great, not much to debate there.

However, the area seems like it might be tough for a woman to walk alone after dark, say coming home at night from the lowe part of Bermondsey St. Of course the Jam Factory itself is gated and has a 24 hr concierge, but can one count on getting there alone late night safely as a woman?

Any experiences, views etc from residents of that complex and the area in general are helpful.

Thanks!
Thursday 2 June 2005 10.25pm
ozzy, obvious you have recently moved into the area and are a little concerned.

This area is a lot safer for people to walk about in when it gets dark, certainly no tougher than any other area in London for a woman to walk alone in after dark (have you been to ilford?).
i love it here and have recently moved in and live in an ungated community.
'spec
harry
Friday 3 June 2005 10.30am
I live in the Jam and feel very safe walking around the area; it's well lit and busy 'til late at night so it's only green walk that's a bit lonely, but not scary. I quite often come home on my own around midnight, and even as a woman walking on my own I feel pretty safe. It's just a question of getting used to a new area I think, without getting complacent.
Friday 3 June 2005 3.54pm
I live there as well and agree with both Harry and Fabhat; feel very safe and the area is lovely.
Thursday 9 June 2005 12.44pm
I live just opposite the Jam factory & often walk home from the restaurants in Bermondsey St after dark and have never had any problems. Tower Bridge Rd is always well lit & busy.
yas
Thursday 9 February 2006 10.17pm
Ozzy - I've lived here (near JF) ten years and walked home alone at most times of the night and only ever had a problem (mugging) once 4 years ago. If you choose your streets carefully you shouldn't have a problem. You just need to be London street wise like any where else.
Monday 13 February 2006 5.18pm
Osamede
I live just the other side of the Bricklayers Arms roundabout and often walk home late from various directions including Great Dover Street, Tabard Street, Tower Bridge Road and even the New Kent Road. With the exception of the latter, I always feel perfectly safe - at least as safe as you're going to feel anywhere in London. Obviously I've learnt from experience that as a woman alone it's always best to keep your wits about you anyway.

Definitely move into the area. it's a gem.
Monday 13 February 2006 5.30pm
Thanks for the input, although I'd note that "Yas" seemed to have exhumed an out-of-date thread from last June. I already moved into the Jam Factory not long after posting this! :-)

Perhaps may be helpful for anyone else considering it at the moment, but personally I'm all set, thanks!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: