New to forum - question on living in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 6 June 2005 3.42pm
Hello

I've always wanted to live in a warehouse conversion - somewhere with a wealth of Victorian character, and I've looked at a few places in Shad Thames and Bermondsey. My price range would be greater than 350K and less than 500K, and it could be 1 or 2 bedroom. I would be looking for somewhere with exposed beams/brickwork. I know SE16 offers Globe and Canda Wharf but they are too far out of London for me.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to buy and where not to buy, and why - what are the pros and cons? SE1 is a big place and I don't know where to start really. I liked the buildings in / around Shad Thames but the area seemed quite removed from anywhere else, except Butler's Wharf which I'm not that interested in. I'm not sure what it would be like actually living there - buying a pint of milk, going to the pub, meeting friends etc - like I say, it seemed a bit too far removed, but lovely obviously for the buildings. The places in Bermondsey were expensive and were difficult from a transport perspective.

Are there any "must see" buildings or parts of SE1 that offer a good combination of location, character, price? In Shad Thames for example, are their any particularly good conversions ?

Thanks David
Monday 6 June 2005 4.16pm
Best thing would be to get yourself in all the estate agents round the area- there's a list of them on this site somewhere- in the about this area section.
Most of the warehouse type conversions are going to be at Shad Thames or around Bermondsey St, but the latter is only a short walk from London Bridge Station.
I know someone who used to live in a wonderful penthouse in Clink Wharf overlooking the river (probably worth a couple of million though) but it did have all the brick walls and original features. Maybe some other smaller flats in that development might be up your street.The beauty of Clink Wharf and the area around there is that it is only a short walk to the market and the shops. Ahhh, when I win the lottery.......

Monday 6 June 2005 4.52pm
David,
Anything on Clink St. with a view (even partial) of the river will be c.550k+
I agree with your comments on Shad Thames - it is a lovely place to live if you have a river view and/or work in the city but can be a little isolating at times, I think. Boss House on Boss St. is one development you should maybe look at as it fulfils all your criteria.
Without meaning to be disloyal to the wonders of SE1, my advice would be to look around at other areas too if your main objective is to live in a warehouse conversion. There are any number in Clerkenwell/Shoreditch which are perhaps more centered in a 'real' community and equally well-placed not only for the City, if that's where you work, but also for reaching SE1 too.
Beware newer conversions or new builds that claim to be 'lofts' that are in fact small and badly fitted out - the original warehouse conversions are easily recognizable for their big open-plan spaces, high ceilings, industrial features etc. etc.
A good place to look is at the 'Urban Spaces' web-site (no connection whatsoever on my part) which covers all parts of London, including SE1.
Good luck!
Monday 6 June 2005 5.15pm
I'm not sure what most of SE1 is "far removed" from ... and with London Bridge, Waterloo and incredible bus services, it is well-provided for, transport-wise and is a good place to meet friends, wherever they live in London. For example, Shad Thames is a really short walk from London Bridge, via Potters Fields; and the TBR buses go to Elephant, Waterloo and the West End ... and it's obviously very close to the City. I think you should be able to find what you're looking for in or around Bermondsey Street, Long Lane, Weston Street, Leathermarket Street and the Borough ... though prices do seem to have taken a hike over the past 18 months.
Monday 6 June 2005 10.39pm
Anybody spending half a million pounds on a one bedroom flat *imho* needs his head examining...
HF
Tuesday 7 June 2005 11.42am
Is it just me or are there a lot more homeless people/drug addicts hanging out in the Tyers Gate/ Leathermarket St park? I know they come to the manna centre round by the Horseshoe pub, but they seem to be spilling out into the park area.
I know its a tricky one coz where exactly are they meant to go, but a lot of kids hang out by the primary school/community centre there and you just hope that they don't become volatile/ leave needles about etc. They seem to me to be harmless enough, but I know a group of mothers were quite upset about it yesterday afternoon...
On another note, can I recommend not walking through that park after dark - my boyfriend just got mugged there by a couple of young-ish looking kids.
Tuesday 7 June 2005 11.57am
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody spending half a million pounds on a one
> bedroom flat *imho* needs his head examining...

Thanks to everyone for the answers. Much appreciated.

I agree Mapmaker. I don't think I could do that but there is no harm in looking.

Thanks again David
Tuesday 7 June 2005 6.21pm
bod42zx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>. Boss House on Boss St.

Couldn't believe it when we walked past the other day. I'd never noticed the name of the street. Thought it would be tremendously funny to live in Boss House, on Boss Street. Then wondered, if you lived at No.1 Boss house, how you'd write your address. After some thought, I favoured "Ivanhoe, Number One Boss House, Boss Street." Of course, if I couldn't live at No 1, I would move somewhere else on the Street and just rename my flat "Big Boss Mansions".

Where would it stop?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 7 June 2005 7.36pm
And you'd have to run your own company ... so you could be Ivanhoe the Boss, Boss House ... etc
Wednesday 8 June 2005 10.44am
[linking this to the great chippie debate on another thread] Imagine if Masters moved to Boss St

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: