Desperately Seeking Pool Soon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 9 June 2005 3.41pm
I've just moved from Wandsworth to Elephant, and am missing its huge selection of quality, council-run public swimming pools. I've been searching desperately for a public pool in SE1 and have turned up nothing. I'm getting lardy and pasty through lack of exercise, and I don't want to go to a dreaded gym. Can somebody help find an affordable pool nearby?

Thursday 9 June 2005 3.55pm
Darwin Court have a pool open to the public or else severn islands is proably the nearest unless you join a gym nearby
Thursday 9 June 2005 3.56pm
There is a sports centre in Elephant, not sure if it has a pool though. There is one in the Oasis leisure centre on the corner of High holborn and Endell st:

There is an indoor pool and an outdoor pool on the roof, the latter is great in the winter as it's kept pretty warm but not many people are brave enough to go out there! It's run by Camden I think.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 9 June 2005 4.11pm by James Hatts.
Thursday 9 June 2005 4.10pm
The pool at the Elephant has been closed for years.

Try this previous thread for some other suggestions:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 9 June 2005 4.16pm
See these earlier threads

and pool plans were mentioned on this one:

Edited to add: beaten to it again by the Editor!
Thursday 9 June 2005 4.54pm
The Darwin court pool is open to the under 50's at certain time -i know it is in the evenings and some schools use it at times in the day. Not big but does tend to be more seious swimmers.
Thursday 9 June 2005 5.03pm
Wow, thanks to everyone for such a quick response, and so many ideas. I think it's a shame, though, that everyone has to hunt so hard to find a pool, and even in some cases to be sneaky or plead (Guy's and St T's) or only go at restricted times. It's awful that there isn't an obvious, affordable, council-run pool within easy reach. Here's hoping that the Elephant development will include a really good public pool. On the other hand, I'm pleased so many people were community-minded enough to offer advice. I do like my new neighbourhood. Cheers.
Thursday 9 June 2005 11.35pm
Well this may be a bit of a trek but Bus 100 from Elephant gets you to Shadwell where there is a council pool called St Georges.
Tuesday 14 June 2005 7.32pm
i'm with Kirsty on this one. The Oasis swimming pool in Holborn is fantastic - i'm a member there because i work round the corner.

There's something really nice about swimming out in the open in a heated pool - just a shame we don't have something like this in SE1.
Wednesday 15 June 2005 6.44am
As far as I know the battle for a public pool has already been won by Doon St at the back of the RFH. Which essentially means that there would not be an extra 10 million or whatever for a pool at the Elephant. I may be wrong but the earlier plans were for a 20 meter lap pool. Eg closer to what you might find in a gym than one suitable for children and toddlers.

If I am right it is a real shame as just about every resident consultation has highlighted the lack of access to a pool, and it is a particular problem for schools. Plus any pool has to serve a really wide area from Stockwell through to Blackfriars and pretty far south. Transport to the tip of the Waterloo peninsular is not good.

We are now using Clapham Manor pool for the kids lessons and the private Livingwell gym on Millbank during their children's hour. But the former is threatened with closure. (Plans to build a new leisure centre between Brixton and Clapham to replace Clapham Manor and Brixton Rec, a pity because though it is an old building Clapham Manor has a really nice atmosphere.) Whilst it appears that Livingwell members, or at least those without kids, have a collective allergy to kids, and there are hints that children's hour priviledges may be withdrawn. Which is a huge shame as it is a really nice pool. (If the Tate Modern does not object to members bringing kids....)

I heard somewhere that the cost to a local authority per visit to a public pool is about 12, a figure that cannot be recouped through entrance charges. Which goes some way to explaining the problem.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: