What's the best cafe in Borough?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 13 June 2005 10.03am
I use this site a lot to find good restaurants etc. One question which seems unanswered on this site is: what's the best cafe in Borough?

I'm looking for a place that serves good coffee and a does a good brunch - nice fry up with decent sausages.

Thanks

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 13 June 2005 10.04am by Keith McIntosh.
Monday 13 June 2005 11.12am
Could try Terrys on Great Suffolk Street, though I don't drink coffee so can't recommend that - great fry up and proper bubble!
jpm
Monday 13 June 2005 11.44pm
For me it has to be the Anatolian on Bartholemew Street, right by the Bricklayers Arms roundabout.

Fantastic fry-up, fantastic value, fantastic tea... door wedge toast

and if the way of assessing the place is by the numbers of brickies, drivers etc, all i can say is that you can't move for luminous jackets at 7:30 in the morning

oh, and the people are lovely too - very friendly.

Dream caff!
Tuesday 14 June 2005 10.01am
Terry's on Great Suffolk Street is fantastic. If you want a good bacon sandwich they do proper thick sliced bread.

Also, the Best Of Bermondsey cafe on Grange Road does a great fry-up too.
Wednesday 15 June 2005 7.53pm
i vote terry's !
Thursday 16 June 2005 12.12pm
Hmmm. Terry's must have changed recently. Both times I went I recall, it stank like old socks and the food was fried to shrivelled oily lumps. Chips were cold. Food took ages. I have seen them produce a huge doorstop of a salt beef sandwich - but I couldn't take the smell so have foresworn it. Has it changed?

Jade - further on up Borough High St. does OK food. Again, though I was put off - this time by a scene at the front (where some of the food is 'prepared'). Where this huge baked potato came up from the subterranean kitchens. The guy cut it in half revealing a centre fully rotted through (all brown/black). So he happily cut it out and squashed the two halves together prior to microwaving and serving up. They do nice chips though…

La Palma on Union St. My normal haunt. Service - erratic. The pasta can be good - especially the penne arrabiata, and they are happy to serve it up with chips (see a theme in my diet perhaps?). It is big enough that you can always get a seat even when its busy).

The best caff in the Borough (although it is possibly just outside) is the Blackfriars café - which combines good food with really friendly and swift service. And pretty good chips of course.

<* off to lunch now *>
Thursday 16 June 2005 12.32pm
Borough Cafe was always the best, the bubble and squeak was fantastic. I'm off to Terry's tomorrow morning - I'll report back.
Thursday 16 June 2005 1.24pm
eat at Tharg's

[can't believe no one's said it before ;0)]

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 16 June 2005 1.31pm
a man called Tharg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Borough Cafe was always the best,

Is there a new one opening in Park St? (at the sit eof the old one)

> I'm off to Terry's tomorrow
> morning - I'll report back.

Best of luck - wear a nosepeg.

Thursday 16 June 2005 1.41pm
If you get put off by Terry's, pop across the road to the Giggling Sausage - decor not great but the food is good
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: