Open House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 24 September 2002 12.51pm
I managed to visit most of the places open in SE1 and SE16 at the weekend and ended up liking the homes/flats the best (my favourite was the one on Mill St, which gave me all sorts of ideas I cannot afford).

What did other people think of some of the places on display?
Wednesday 25 September 2002 12.14pm
amazed you got round so many places. only managed customs house (so so) but then i started out at about 4pm sunday! what was the hop exchange like near borough high street?
Thursday 26 September 2002 10.55am
I used to work there it was beautiful, the lift had a lift attendant, in uniform! with the metal folding gates. The lift itself was a work of art with polished wood walls and a small seat for the attendant to sit. he was a bad judge and the lift would often stop with a judder and at least four inches below floor level.
The general opinion amongst us girls was he did it on purpose so he could could look up our skirts which were like can can skirts, loads of sticky out petticoats them days..
There was a large atrium surrounded by ornate railings. I swear we could still smell hops there.....
Thursday 26 September 2002 6.02pm
In the end I managed to visit three in the SE1 area. Mill St which I found very unimpressive. It already looked dated to me with all those dark floors everywhere...

I also went to the architects offices in Tanner St. The offices aren't of much interest but it has a fantastic roof terrace with a great view of Tower Bridge, which was closed off on Sunday to host the Carfree London Day.

My favourite destination was The Glasshouse in Bermondsey Street. A compact live/work place which benefitted from lots of glass and light everywhere. I'll certainly go back next year...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: